Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
We are looking for a stellar lawyer to be embedded with the Kuiper team and lead fast-paced, complex negotiations on a variety of cutting-edge space technologies such as satellite components (propulsion, solar arrays, PCB, reaction wheels, harnesses, etc.), ground infrastructure, and customer terminals. You will support and elevate the Kuiper team by reviewing, drafting, and negotiating a variety of contracts in your orbit, including component purchase agreements, license agreements, design services agreements, and manufacturing agreements and providing advice on software development, intellectual property, supply chain issues, and a variety of other legal issues as they arise. The successful candidate will develop strategies for handling legal issues in creative, business-centric ways and engineer processes that address gravity and risk and allow the business flexibility and freedom to move quickly.
We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic about technology, has the inclination to be continually challenged, and demonstrates sound judgment even in a void of information or ambiguous situations. You will be expected to take smart risks and revel at the opportunity to negotiate favorable deals on a timeline that matches the team’s velocity.
This position will be based in Seattle or Redmond, Earth. Some terrestrial travel, domestic and international, will be required.
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
· J.D. degree and membership in one state bar is required
· 2+ years of experience as a transactional attorney
· 2+ years of experience drafting and negotiating technology transactions (supply chain work preferred but not required)
· Fundamental understanding of intellectual property
· Ability to understand complex technical details
· Deep understanding of intellectual property
· 2+ years of experience at a top national or international law firm
· A mix of law firm and in-house experience a plus
· Ability to work independently while being able to contribute successfully to cross-functional teams
· Excited and passionate about innovating on behalf of our customers · Strong written and oral communication skills
· Good sense of humor (but given the space puns in this job description, it is fair to say that a bad sense of humor is also accepted)
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age