The Community Service Society (CSS) is an independent, not-for-profit organization that has been at the forefront of public policy innovations that support low-income New Yorkers for more than 170 years. CSS’s Health Initiatives Department runs a number of statewide programs that help New Yorkers find and use their health insurance or otherwise access health care, including: Community Health Advocates (CHA); the Community Health Access to Addiction and Mental Healthcare Project (CHAMP); the Independent Consumer Advocacy Network (ICAN); and several enrollment assistance programs. These services are free for New York health care consumers and small businesses. It also coordinates the Health Care for All New York Campaign, a coalition of 170 groups dedicated to securing quality, affordable coverage for all New Yorkers. CHA serves over 30,000 New Yorkers a year—saving them over $30 million annually in health costs—through a live-answer helpline and a network of community-based organizations.
CSS seeks to hire a Health Attorney to provide consumer assistance to people who need assistance with navigating their health coverage, appealing denials of care and negotiating medical debt.
- Write appeals and complaints and provide hearing representation to clients appealing denials of health insurance coverage.
- Represent consumers in medical debt court actions and negotiations with providers and debt collectors.
- Provide information, education, advice, and navigational services to beneficiaries on how to successfully utilize health insurance and/or care.
- Develop cutting edge legal strategies and policy remedies that address consumer health coverage needs, with a potential specialization in dental coverage and other areas of under-insurance.
- Respond to live calls from consumers, family members or providers on the CHA Helpline.
- Provide trainings and presentations to beneficiaries, family members, advocates, providers and others, as needed.
- Prepare training materials and fact sheets, as needed.
- Maintain thorough case records of services provided, advice, appeals and/or referrals.
- Help identify systemic trends or practices that adversely affect clients and work closely with senior CSS staff and other appropriate stakeholders.
- Other responsibilities identified by Supervisor.
- Law degree and must have passed New York State bar.
- A minimum of two years’ experience providing assistance to consumers and/or advocates on health insurance, or health care access issues.
- Experience with courtroom or hearing advocacy preferred.
- Experience writing appeals required.
- Ability to speak, type and write clearly, concisely, persuasively and keep detailed notes of all communications.
- Demonstrated expertise in conducting legal research and analysis.
- Written and spoken fluency in Spanish or a language other than English required.