Pillsbury’s 2022 1L Fellowship for Advancing Diversity in the Profession offers the following:
- A paid summer associate position (typically 10 weeks) in one of Pillsbury’s U.S. offices during the summer of 2022.
- The opportunity to participate in the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) 1L Scholars Program.*
- For 1L Fellows successfully completing their summer with Pillsbury, the opportunity to return to Pillsbury in a paid 2L summer associate position.
- Up to a $40,000 award as follows:
- 1L Fellows who receive and accept an offer to return as a 2L Pillsbury summer associate will receive a $15,000 award to help defray the cost of law school.
- Those Fellows who then also successfully complete their 2L summer with Pillsbury, and receive and accept an offer to return as an associate with Pillsbury after graduation from law school, will receive another $25,000 award.
1L law students are encouraged to apply who:
- Are enrolled full-time at an ABA-accredited law school.
- Come from a background that would contribute to Pillsbury’s diversity and inclusion goals and would add to the advancement of diversity in the legal industry due to their life experiences, socioeconomic background, personal attributes or characteristics and regardless of race, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or other protected characteristic or condition.
- Are U.S. citizens or otherwise authorized to work in the United States.
- Are likely to practice after graduation in one of Pillsbury’s U.S. offices.
- Will not be the recipient of a diversity award or scholarship from another law firm paid between January 1 and August 31 of the year in which the student will work with Pillsbury.
1L Fellowship recipients will be selected based on a combination of the following factors:
- Strength of the applicant’s personal statement.
- A demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity and inclusivity within the legal community, and a desire to contribute to the firm’s diversity goals.
- Strong undergraduate and law school academic performance.
- Personal achievement, including demonstrated success in facing or overcoming obstacles.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- A strong base of oral and written communication skills.
- Desire and commitment to excel as a lawyer in a large, private firm practice environment.
To apply, applicants must timely provide:
- A completed 1L Fellowship application form.
- A cover letter identifying the office(s) to which the candidate is applying.
- A current resume.
- Official undergraduate and law school transcripts (once available).
- A personal statement addressing the topic stated in the application form.
Details: Applications will be reviewed on a continuing basis until positions are filled or until January 31, 2022, with priority given to submissions received by December 31, 2021. Applications must be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions may be directed to Rohonda Williams, at Rohonda.email@example.com
*Pillsbury is a member of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD). The LCLD 1L Scholars Program is designed to strengthen the legal pipeline by expanding the number of opportunities for diverse first-year law students. 1L students receive valuable professional training, including on the value of building relationships and networks with LCLD member organizations.