Energy storage is the key to unlocking a future where our world is powered by renewable resources. At Convergent Energy + Power, our mission is to make the electrical grid cleaner, more reliable, and less expensive by leveraging state-of-the-art energy storage and distributed generation technologies. Our Legal Team is vital to our ability to realize this mission. In line with that, we are seeking a Counsel who will work closely with, and as part of, Convergent’s fully collaborative legal team to continue to build a commercially savvy legal function to manage risk and scale the business.
In this role, Counsel will build strong working relationships with our business clients and advise them on financing, acquisitions, partnerships, development, and operations of stand-alone storage, hybrid storage, and distributed generation solar projects, as well as general corporate and regulatory matters. Counsel will engage directly with the capital markets, investor relations, business development, asset management, commercial operations, strategy, and engineering, procurement, and operations teams in their day-to-day functions.
What You’ll Be Doing:
• Work closely with internal capital markets, business development, investor relations, asset management, commercial operations, strategy, and engineering, procurement, and operations clients to help drive business development strategy, identifying and mitigating risks that arise;
• Lead or support on reviewing, drafting, and negotiating corporate and project financing and acquisition documents, including equity, tax equity, debt, and M&A transactions;
• Lead or support on regulatory disclosure or reporting;
• Lead or support on corporate governance, disclosure controls, and procedures needs;
• Lead or support on reviewing, drafting, and negotiating key project documents for energy storage, hybrid, and distributed generation solar projects in our expanding markets, including energy savings agreements, standard offer contracts, facility contracts, real estate agreements, PPAs, EPCs, O&Ms and vendor/supply contracts;
• Lead or support on the legal aspects of regulatory, corporate, and project compliance;
• Manage or support dispute resolution matters, as needed;
• Manage, or assist in managing, outside legal counsel for transactions, general corporate, and regulatory matters;
• Collaborate with and advise People Ops on HR-related matters, including trainings, disputes, and policies;
• Work autonomously to identify, prioritize, and address commercial, regulatory and legislative hurdles across markets; and
• Support additional policy priorities in areas relevant to energy storage, renewable power, and evolving business development needs as Convergent continues to mature and scale in our rapidly growing sector. Careers
• Law degree with strong academic credentials from a top tier accredited university;
• Bar admission and membership in good standing;
• 4+ years’ post-admission experience in a premier law firm and/or an in-house legal department focused on power, infrastructure or public investment in those sectors;
• A strong understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion principles and commitment to infusing DEI throughout the business to drive growth;
• Robust experience in closing corporate, structured, and equity finance transactions;
• Robust experience with securities regulation, SOX compliance, Reg FD, public disclosure and reporting, and ESG matters;
• Experience with closing mergers, acquisitions, and divestiture transactions;
• Experience with dispute resolution;
• Experience with energy storage agreements, PPAs, and structuring and development of storage and/or renewable energy facilities;
• Strong command of the nexus of accounting and legal compliance;
• Regulatory awareness of the power markets in the US (e.g. FERC, NERC, ERCOT, PJM, etc.);
• Experience with or awareness of Intellectual Property and/or Trademark matters;
• Fluency and exceptional writing skills in the English language, with additional languages a plus;
• Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), Litera, and Adobe Pro; and
• Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
• A pragmatic and engaging adviser with highly effective communication skills with various counterparts in high pressure environments; and
• Keen command of what drives key stakeholder decisions and exceptional persuasion and negotiation skills.
This is an incredible opportunity to join us at an inflection point in growth and make a real contribution within the legal department. If this sounds like a role that will excite you, and you are passionate about the Energy Transition and identifying and mitigating legal risk, we want to talk to you! If interested please apply HERE.