We are seeking an experienced corporate and securities counsel to join the legal team of The New York Times Company. This person will report to the General Counsel, serve as the assistant secretary to the Board of Directors and oversee securities matters, public company governance, executive compensation and corporate transactions.
- Manage filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including annual and quarterly reports on Forms 10-K and 10-Q, current reports on Form 8-K, proxy statements, Forms S-8, and Section 16 filings, and ensure compliance with SEC and NYSE rules and regulations.
- Advise senior management on disclosure matters, including coordinating the review of earnings and other press releases, presentations, significant internal communications and other announcements.
- Serve as Assistant Secretary, leading and overseeing essential Board-related processes, policies and matters, including with respect to governance advice, the development of Board and Committee agendas, distribution of materials in connection with meetings, preparation of minutes, and, with other stakeholders, coordination of the annual shareholders’ meeting.
- Advise on executive compensation matters, including incentive plans and programs, equity administration and related public company disclosure considerations.
- Lead legal support for corporate transactions, including securities offerings, financings, investments, acquisitions and divestitures and other strategic transactions, including coordinating internal teams, managing due diligence activities and working with outside counsel.
- Support the Treasury group on banking agreements, insurance policies, pension management and other Treasury matters.
- Ensure support of domestic and international corporate law matters; oversee the corporate secretarial function of domestic and global legal entities.
- Lead legal support for a diverse range of matters related to day-to-day operations of the company; work with other departments, including Investor Relations, Corporate Communications, Controllers, Internal Audit, Treasury, Tax, Talent & Inclusion, Corporate Records, Shared Services Center and others on various projects.
- Drive public company and other compliance efforts, including the development and ongoing review of policies and procedures and the implementation of training initiatives.
- Monitor and keep senior management and Board members apprised of corporate governance trends and developments; engage in policy advocacy related to key responsibilities.
- Manage a team of two lawyers, two paralegals and an executive assistant in support of the above.