ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Executes the Company's legal program.
- Reviews and revises corporate policies and manuals.
- Responsible for being aware of proposed and existing legislation affecting the Company and working with others in the legal department to communicate new legal developments to appropriate company personnel.
- Provides legal advice and assistance to field and corporate management staff on questions involving the more complex company legal issues in a specific area of expertise.
- Prepares training materials and memoranda in a specific area of expertise.
- Conducts presentations to and prepares educational materials for corporate and field personnel, including management and sales employees, regarding applicable laws and regulations in a specific area of expertise.
- May conduct or participate in litigation and assist in the administration of outside counsel relationships.
- Drafts the more complex agreements and documents, which may include revenue-producing contracts, stock or asset purchase agreements, real estate leases, equipment purchase or technology licensing agreements and other operational documents.
- May assist with the preparation or review of SEC filings and documentation related to financial transactions and corporate governance documents.
- Ensures project deadlines and performance standards are established and met.
- Confirms that productivity standards are met.
- May supervise Corporate Counsel.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- May manage all middle management of the department and may be responsible for the performance management, hiring, and discipline of middle management within the department.
Education and/or Experience
- Four-year college degree or equivalent experience is required.
- J.D. (or equivalent) degree is required.
- Eight years of related experience is required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Professional Designations
- A law degree (Juris Doctor or equivalent) and admittance in good standing to a State Bar is required.
- Must be entitled to practice law in the jurisdiction where employed.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Reliable, motivated and strong work ethic with proactive approach and flexibility.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, effectively communicating sound legal advice coupled with a strong understanding of business needs.
- Strong research skills.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously while maintaining high quality and performance under pressure.
- Ability to work independently as well as be a member of a project team, be self-motivated, manage high volume of work, prioritize effectively, meet numerous deadlines and repeatedly shift between assignments/projects.
- Ability to problem solve and provide guidance to direct reports and other internal company clients.
- Detail-oriented and excellent organizational skills with strong attention to accuracy and follow-up.
- Ability to manage direct reports with varying professional backgrounds in a manner that elicits strong performance results and increases efficiency.
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications and common computer equipment and office hardware.
- Strong research skills using Lexis or Westlaw
- English (reading, writing, verbal)
- Should possess sufficient mathematical skills to support business-oriented legal work.
- Specific experience and skills may be required in the context of specific legal specialties.
- Excellent communication skills, both written (e-mails/letters/memos) and verbal (telephonic and in-person), are a must.
- Interpersonal and virtual skills are critical – must be internal-customer oriented, a team player, and able to balance multiple projects and their respective deadlines.
- Tech-savvy and proficient in digital communication such as Ring Central, Microsoft Teams, etc. a plus.
- Previous healthcare or other related experience either at a law firm or corporate environment.