Nasdaq's award-winning legal group, which employs over 50 lawyers in offices in the U.S. and Europe, has a rare opportunity for an experienced, business-minded lawyer who flourishes with change and new challenges, to work as an Assistant General Counsel – Labor & Employment in our Office of General Counsel to help provide legal advice to the People Team (HR), managers, and senior leadership on all aspects of global labor/employment law. This is an outstanding opportunity to join a global leader in financial services and financial technology, guiding clients in an industry that helps us craft the global economy and rewrite tomorrow.
We are looking for the following skills and experience:
- A J.D. with outstanding academic credentials who is an active member in good standing of at least one state bar.
- At least 5 years of legal experience, preferably with experience counseling corporate clients on labor/employment matters across global jurisdictions
- Knowledge/experience in one or more of the following a strong plus: employment law of UK and/or any E.U. countries, U.S. ERISA/benefits law, public company compensation and related disclosure matters, in-house experience.
- Minimum 2-3 days per week on site in our Rockville, MD, Washington, DC, or New York, NY office.
- Occasional travel required (when COVID-safe).
- A sense of humor.
This role will report to the Company’s Global Head of Employment Law, with duties to include the following:
- Provide legal advice in a broad range of employment related matters and projects, both in the US and globally.
- Coordinate with our Global People Team and all business partners on the company’s employment-related policies, procedures, agreements, and risks
- Supervise and work closely with outside counsel to identify and minimize business risks and to achieve strategic objectives that are timely and cost-effective.
- Provide advice and develop strategy with senior leadership on company-wide initiatives affecting employees, including labor/employment aspects of M&A transactions.
- Lead employment law-related projects, including process reviews, new policy creation and implementation, and creation and delivery of training programs.
- Lead and/or provide support on employment-related pre-litigation and litigation matters.
- Monitor legislation, regulations, case law, and government oversight activities relating to employment issues and provide proactive, strategic advice to relevant business partners.
- Provide legal support and guidance on Nasdaq diversity, equity and inclusion efforts.
- Education Required: Law Degree (e.g., in the U.S., the Juris Doctor degree). Depending on location, may be required to qualify for a license to practice law (in the U.S., must be admitted to the bar).
- Experience Required: At least 5 years preferably involving the financial services industry and/or regulatory and competition policy.