The Legal Content Manager is responsible for ensuring that the legal information in ILAO’s content management system is legally accurate and up-to-date. They follow legal trends and issues facing lower-income families and communities in Illinois, especially those who are Spanish-speaking. They help devise new ways of increasing access to justice using innovation, and manage all Spanish-language legal content ILAO produces.
Illinois Legal Aid Online (ILAO) is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff. Working with great people with a wide variety of lived experience brings us closer to meeting our vision of a society where all people can get justice. Because our services and products - like the law - are for everyone, we believe in including everyone. We strongly and enthusiastically encourage people of color, individuals who identify within and beyond the LGBTQIA+ spectrum, women, and people with disabilities to apply.
ILAO is fully remote, with periodic, in-person meetings. We welcome applications from across the U.S.
Produce & publish content 50%
- Monitor law changes and other legal developments to ensure ILAO content is up-to-date.
- Recruit, work, and collaborate with subject matter experts in the Legal Content Volunteer Program, ILAO’s statewide network of legal-aid-advocate and private attorney contributors/editors.
- Ensure that content production milestones for new products are met on time.
- Monitor what resources exist outside of ILAO's library and determine how to best incorporate them into ILAO's products.
- Collaborate with others on the Content Team to come up with new ways of packaging and delivering legal information.
- Understand the needs of legal aid and pro bono attorneys and ensure ILAO is supporting them with meaningful tools and resources.
- Create a variety of types of content in addition to text, like flowcharts, infographics, videos, and eLearning modules.
- Network and build relationships with others in the legal profession, especially in legal aid and access to justice, to collaborate on solutions to major issues.
- Serve on the Illinois Supreme Court Access to Justice Commission’s Forms Subcommittees to advise on form design and plain language.
Manage translation of legal content into Spanish 35%
- Acts as the point person for volunteer translators and vendors to provide content to address the needs of Spanish speakers in Illinois.
- Ensures that content that is created or updated in English is translated into Spanish quickly and accurately.
- Monitors translated content and works with ILAO’s Content Director to identify trends and opportunities for improvement.
- Recruits, acknowledges, and shows appreciation for Spanish-speaking translation volunteers.
- Prepares promotional materials, training, and outreach materials in Spanish and collaborates with ILAO's Strategic Partnerships team to ensure legal information is widely shared with Spanish-language partners and users.
Content evaluation and feedback management 15%
- Establish metrics and standard reports for content performance and evaluation.
- Collect, aggregate, analyze and share data with ILAO staff and partners as needed.
- Enforce content quality standards and oversee the content governance process.
- Develop, execute, and continuously improve content quality assurance and prioritization process.
- Work with Product Support Manager to collect and respond to content-related user feedback.
- Law degree (J.D.) or similar legal experience required
- Proficiency or fluency in oral and written Spanish required, Mexican Spanish preferred
- Experience distilling complicated concepts into understandable, actionable resources
Preference given to candidates with
- Experience collaborating with and supporting volunteers and community members
- Experience working with translation systems and workflows
- Experience working in web-based content management systems
- Strong connections to Illinois and/or understanding of Illinois law
- Experience with Jira, Slack, GSuite, and/or Salesforce