PGIM Real Estate (“PGIM RE”), an operating business of PGIM Inc., the global investment management business of Prudential Financial, Inc., is one of the nation's largest full-service commercial, multi-family and agricultural real estate lenders. PGIM RE originates a wide variety of mortgage, mezzanine and preferred equity investments across its platform for Prudential's General Account, investment management clients, commingled funds and other third-party capital sources, as well as Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and FHA.
An exciting opportunity exists to join PGIM RE’s law department as a Vice President and Corporate Counsel. The role will support PGIM RE’s U.S. loan originations and fund raising activities with broad responsibility for investment originations, product development, fund raising and other business related matters.
The position will be based in Atlanta, Georgia, although qualified candidates in other locations may also be considered. Some limited travel is required.
The role will be varied in nature but will include:
- providing substantive legal advice and broad legal oversight in connection with PGIM RE’s loan origination activities - this will specifically include responsibilities in connection with core, core plus and high yield mortgage lending programs;
- supporting the business in the development of new product offerings and investment strategies impacting proprietary and third-party mortgage lending programs;
- supporting fund raising activities, fund formation, and separate client accounts;
- managing the performance of, and relationships with, outside counsel;
- providing day-to-day legal support for the business, which will include engaging broadly in the support of all aspects of the business, responding to ad-hoc legal issues and identifying and seeking mitigants to risks that may impact the business (e.g. operational risks, regulatory risks and reputational risks);
- collaborating with other members of the Law Department on global initiatives such as the use of technology and the continued development and maintenance of standardized positions, processes, procedures and documents;
- working in collaboration with other members of the Law Department both within the U.S. and internationally on the assessment of, and development of appropriate responses to, market changes, and legal and regulatory issues;
- attending, contributing to and organizing legal training sessions (both external and internal); and
- upholding PGIM and Law Department core values and having active involvement in organizational initiatives (e.g. diversity, equity and inclusion, pro bono and volunteerism).
The ideal candidate will:
- have an established track record of relevant experience in real estate finance (meaningful experience across core, core plus and high yield lending and preferred equity investing is strongly preferred);
- have experience with fund formation, capital raising and negotiating investment management agreements;
- have experience with CLOs;
- be a self-starter who is highly motivated and comfortable working both independently and as part of a team;
- have highly effective communication skills and an ability to engage with stakeholders at all levels of seniority, from senior management to analysts;
- be pro-active and willing to learn and assume responsibility for new projects and tasks, which may include areas outside of existing technical expertise;
- be flexible and willing to adapt to rapidly changing needs of business partners and the broader enterprise;
- have excellent market knowledge, technical skills, commercial sense and professional judgment, with a willingness to make decisions and a strong drive to identify solutions and achieve results; and
- have a minimum of 6 years’ relevant experience, either in private practice (preferably with an AmLaw 100 firm) or in-house, and admission to the bar of at least one state.