Position Title: Network for Public Health Law Senior Attorney, Reproductive Health
Position Status: Regular Full-Time
Reports To: National Office Managing Director
At the Network for Public Health Law (Network) we believe in the power of public health law and policy to improve lives and make our communities safer, healthier, stronger and more equitable. We know that understanding, navigating, and using law and policy can transform our communities so we work to help public health leaders, policymakers, researchers, educators, advocates, and health care providers do just that.
The Network is seeking a Public Health Senior Attorney to lead and coordinate our work in reproductive health. This position will track and assess laws, provide legal technical assistance, conduct training, develop tools and educational materials, and facilitate opportunities for networking and peer assistance. This position will also be the main point of contact and coordinate work with the Network’s five Region Offices. As a team member, the Senior Attorney will help identify funding opportunities, write grant proposals, manage contracts and project deliverables, and perform other duties as assigned.
Attorneys in good standing of the Bar of a U.S. jurisdiction, with at least five to seven years of experience in providing legal counsel or technical legal support in public health law or health law and legislative tracking, are encouraged to apply. Experience with related areas of law that demonstrate significant knowledge and practical experience regarding the organization and powers of government to protect the public and promote its well-being is preferred. These areas include, but are not limited to, municipal law, tribal law, administrative law, poverty law, and civil rights law. The successful candidate will have excellent legal research, writing, and public speaking skills, excellent organizational skills, a demonstrated commitment to health equity and social justice, and the ability to create and maintain partnerships and collaborative relationships with a wide variety of individuals and communities. This position reports to the National Office Managing Director, with oversight by the Eastern Region Office Director.
This position is hybrid if attorney resides in Minnesota, and remote if attorney resides out of state. The salary for this position is $85,000 - $95,000/year and is commensurate with experience.
This position may supervise research assistants or law students on specific projects, or new attorneys who participate in Network fellowship or intern positions.
Strategic Planning (10%)
· Work closely with the Network leadership team to develop strategies, objectives, and deliverables for the Network’s reproductive health practice area, and align priorities with partners and funders.
· Develop a strategy for provision of targeted technical assistance (TA).
Legal Technical Assistance 60%
· Provide timely, high-quality, practical, and relevant TA and training, including referrals in consultation with Network colleagues. This position is focused primarily on legal issues relating to reproductive health.
· Enter and track TA information in database, provide reports on activities as needed.
Resource Development (20%)
· Track and assess relevant laws.
· Work directly with public health practitioners, attorneys, and other stakeholders on an ongoing basis to identify relevant legal issues, best practices, and evidence-based solutions.
· Develop practical or scholarly Network tools and resources for public health practitioners, attorneys, policy advocates, and other interested persons.
Outreach and Relationship-Building (10%)
· Build and maintain collaborative relationships with public health and legal experts in reproductive health.
· Build and maintain strong relationship with state and local health departments.
· Represent the Network at conferences and gatherings.
· Provide opportunities for networking and peer assistance to Network stakeholders.
· Deliver a minimum of 3-6 public health law presentations per year, including in-person presentations and webinars.
· Work closely with the Associate Director of Marketing and Communications to develop plans and activities to build awareness of the Network’s role in reproductive health.
· Domestic travel for conferences, meetings with partners, and internal Network meetings.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Attorney (JD required, MPH a plus) in good standing of the Bar of a U.S. jurisdiction, with five to seven years of experience providing legal counsel or technical legal support in public health or health law.
· Strong work ethic, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Unquestionable integrity and high ethical standards.
· Support diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging practices of the Network.
· Remote work location will be considered.
For best consideration apply by September 23, 2022.