Burr & Forman LLP has an opening for a Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer (CDIO). The position can be based in Birmingham, AL or Atlanta, GA. Other locations may be considered depending on the candidate.
The Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer (CDIO) will help develop and lead the execution of the firm’s diversity strategy, as well as ongoing and new initiatives to build a more inclusive culture and embrace a widely diverse workforce. The CDIO will report to the CEO and the Executive Committee and work closely with the Chair of the firm’s Diversity Committee. The CDIO will have firm-wide responsibility to promote the awareness of diversity and inclusion issues both internally and externally, for both staff and attorneys; will collaborate closely with peers and directors responsible for recruiting and retention, training and development, practice development and other related areas on issues of diversity and inclusion; and be a key spokesperson for the firm's commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in the legal and business communities and with clients.
The CDIO will be a key member of the firm management team working together to guide and support the diversity and inclusion strategy of the firm with the goal of ensuring that diverse attorneys and staff have the same opportunities to succeed as their peers. The CDIO should develop strong relationships and the ability to collaborate on best practices with peers in other organizations in diversity and inclusion.
The CDIO is expected to serve as a positive role model and mentor to the firm's attorneys and staff, and to perform all responsibilities in a way that supports and promotes the firm's commitment to providing superior service to those constituencies and to its clients.
- Lead the firm's diversity and inclusion efforts for lawyers and staff, including assisting in the design and implementation of strategy, best practices, programs, initiatives and training.
- Coordinate integration of the diversity plan throughout the firm's on-going strategic plan.
- Promote a cohesive and inclusive overarching culture while maintaining a sense of local identity in all office locations.
- Serve as an advisor to firm management in the area of diversity and inclusion and periodically report to the Executive Committee of the firm.
- Work to coordinate client-facing diversity and inclusion programs and initiatives that support the firm's client outreach and business development efforts; attend meetings with current and prospective clients in support of such efforts.
- Work in partnership with key staff management and attorney leaders to:
- Develop a Diversity & Inclusion Dashboard and establish defined measures of success, targets, and incremental goals for the short and long term.
- Collaborate on programs that oversee the recruitment, integration and retention of diverse attorneys and staff.
- Collaborate on implementing training and development of firm leadership on allyship and implicit bias as well as other diversity related training for all attorneys and staff.
- Serve as an advisor and leader for all firm-wide Diversity and Inclusion-related communications and all external Diversity & Inclusion related communications and campaigns.
- Oversee the efforts of the firm's Diversity Committee’s Affinity Groups and manage the creation of firm-wide resource groups for staff.
- Collaborate with local inclusion councils by serving as liaison to them in their initiatives, events (internal and external) and other projects.
- Monitor and evaluate the results of the associate and counsel evaluation process, the associate compensation processes and the evaluation and promotions of staff in order to understand and respond to development and diversity opportunities and needs.
- Oversee the firm's budget for diversity related committees and affinity groups, industry memberships, and minority bar conference sponsorship.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Preference for law firm experience; JD is preferred.
- Diversity & Inclusion certification from an accredited university, online program or nationally recognized professional association.
- Knowledge and experience responding to and understanding importance of client and organizational analytics including participating and meeting certain known and expected goals evaluated through survey participation and other requirements.
- Ability to advise attorneys, staff, and management, demonstrating confidentiality, strength, tact, diplomacy and resourcefulness.
- Demonstrated knowledge of diversity and inclusion best practices in law firm and other professional services environments.
- A strong presence that instills confidence and understanding of key issues in the diversity and inclusion legal community.
- The interpersonal skills to build lasting relationships and drive consensus; evidenced ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, attorneys, office, firm and practice management, clients and prospective clients.
- Demonstrated skills in interacting with clients and coordinating on diversity initiatives with clients.
- Outstanding creative thinking skills and the ability to offer new ideas and approaches to diversity and inclusion applicable to new environments.
- Exceptional ability to communicate with varied audiences in writing, verbally and through presentations.
- Superb organizational and project management skills, coupled with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and with a team, and to delegate and manage resources effectively.
- Commitment to the firm, and to professional growth and development.
- Ability and availability to travel and be present in different firm offices in order to effectively implement the agreed upon strategy and the firm's diversity and inclusion initiatives.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.