About Safe Passage Project
Safe Passage Project provides free lawyers to young refugees and immigrants who are being deported. To date, we have supported more than 1,000 young people in NYC. The New York Immigration Court has more than 15,000 cases involving unaccompanied minors on its docket, many of whom are fleeing trauma such as gang violence and recruitment, abuse, and sexual assault.
Immigrant children are not afforded free legal representation by the government, regardless of their age. As a result, more than half of immigrant children must go through immigration proceedings without the aid of a lawyer. Without a lawyer, more than 80% of children are issued deportation orders, returning to the danger from which they fled. This is where Safe Passage Project steps in, providing free legal assistance to these refugees and immigrant children in New York City and Long Island.
About the Role
The Immigration Attorney will be joining a group of exceptional public interest attorneys to directly impact the lives of immigrant children looking for safety and security. The Immigration Attorney will directly represent children in immigration and other related proceedings, including cases involving asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, and other forms of immigration relief. The Immigration Attorney will also guide pro bono attorneys through Family Court and Immigration Court proceedings, and through representation at the Asylum Office.
This opportunity will be based in our Long Island Office, which houses a team including 6 staff attorneys, 2 paralegals, and a social worker, as well as interns and volunteer pro-bono attorneys, all of whom work together to support our young clients and meet their need for immigration legal services.
● Provide direct representation to Safe Passage Project clients.
● Supervise and mentor pro bono attorneys with Safe Passage Project.
● Screen immigrant children and assist in the organization of Safe Passage Project’s legal screenings.
● Provide detailed reporting statistics on each case mentored and represented directly.
The strongest candidates for this position will have most, though likely not all, of the following qualifications and characteristics:
● J.D. degree and admission to New York State Bar;
● Two (2) years of family law or immigration law experience;
● Excellent written, analytical, oral, organizational, and time management skills;
● Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively on an interdisciplinary team in a fast-paced, high-intensity environment;
● Fluency in Spanish is required;
● Experience working with diverse communities and/or with children;
● A commitment to the work of Safe Passage Project and readiness to grow and learn with the Safe Passage Project team.
Compensation and Benefits
Safe Passage Project offers competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. In addition, Safe Passage Project offers a flexible work environment, including the opportunity to work from home, flexible hours, open time off, and 12 weeks paid family leave. The team works on a beautiful campus at a terrific office location in Tribeca and Garden City. Every employee has access to support for professional development. Safe Passage Project is proud to have a top-down, bottom-up commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
How to Apply
Please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Immigration Attorney - Long Island.”
Safe Passage Project is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.