FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
Based in Rhode Island, FM Global is committed to innovation as part of the future of science, artificial intelligence and thought leadership. These areas are vital to helping our clients avoid major business disruptions and strengthen their resilience in the face of evolving risks. As part of the organization’s business platform, the FM Global group is also highly engaged in the areas of investments and commercial real estate ventures.
Working in FM Global’s Law & Governmental Affairs, which oversees and handles all legal matters within the organization, this senior-level VP position will be responsible for providing strategic legal advice and counsel on a broad range of innovation, commercial real estate, and investment transactions. Additionally, they will be supporting the evaluation and implementation of the company’s initiatives in these areas globally. Candidates should analyze complex legal issues and render advice and counsel to internal partners in a concise and decisive manner.
This role, reporting to the Senior Vice President & Chief Legal Officer and based in either RI and/or MA, would also manage a dedicated staff. They would have a high degree of access to our senior management team.
Specific responsibilities would include:
- Managing the legal aspects of innovation transactions from financing to entity formation, drafting and negotiation of complex commercial contracts/agreements. Also, product development, product licensing and distribution, offshore and cross-border due diligence, venture capital, joint ventures, insurance and reinsurance special purpose vehicles, and alternative risk transfer.
- Work closely with the real estate arm of the organization. Including advice and counsel on commercial leasing, master service agreements, construction/development projects, acquisitions/dispositions, zoning/permitting, and environmental issues.
- Support the company’s investments group by providing guidance on investment management agreements, derivatives transactions, institutional asset management, investment advisory regulatory compliance and governance, fiduciary duties, plan investments, and product development.
- Lead a team of legal professionals.
- JD from an accredited law school and admitted to the Bar in at least one U.S. jurisdiction.
- At least 15 - 20 years of relevant corporate transactional in an in-house legal environment (preferably within an insurance or reinsurance organization) or in a mid to large-sized law firm setting.
- Excellent drafting and communication skills.
- Candidates should have extensive experience negotiating general and sophisticated agreements with complex terms, a range of corporate transactions. This includes typical financing and strategic transactions.
- This position will focus on innovation, commercial real estate, and investment matters. Candidates should have significant experience in these areas.
- Prior management experience of a legal team is also highly desirable!
- The ideal candidate will understand the concept of risk tolerances. They will have experience in applying this to provide strategic legal advice and counsel that integrates legal risk management with the company’s business objectives.
- This role will develop and maintain strong business relationships across the company, and contribute to cross-functional or departmental projects and teams and any additional projects or legal matters as needed. This includes general corporate matters.
- This role requires an ability to work independently, including as a team member, and across different fields of the organization. Accountability, sound judgment, responsiveness, and the ability to take ownership of an issue and provide business-sensitive and timely advice is essential.
- Up to 20% domestic and international travel is required for this role.
We offer our employees a wide range of benefits including career long learning opportunities, tuition reimbursement, 401 (k), company-funded pension plan , flexible schedules, rich health and well-being programs, generous time off allowances, volunteer days, and so much more!
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing for open positions will be required to be vaccinated and should be prepared to provide proof of vaccination.