At USA Triathlon, we believe that life is better when you swim, bike and run.
USA Triathlon is the Olympic and Paralympic National Governing Body (NGB) for the sport of triathlon and all things multisport and is the largest multisport organization in the world. We spend every day thinking about ways to grow and support the sport. We’re building the most innovative service organization in sports and transforming lives by inspiring participation to help communities become healthier. We also represent our country at the highest levels of international competition, striving to win medals with class and integrity.
We are defining the modern-day NGB, with innovation as a cornerstone of our strategy. We are guided by principles of service leadership, performance excellence, collaboration, and diversity and inclusion at all levels of the organization. Our focus on listening, collaborating and adapting our existing model has allowed us to create step function changes in our business model, governance and constituent support, and play a leadership role throughout the Olympic and Paralympic Movement.
We are all about going above and beyond to serve the triathlon community, and we work equally hard to serve our teammates. We are committed to being the best place to work in the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic movement by focusing on hiring, training and promoting talented, dedicated, passionate individuals who want to get better every day. We have unlimited vacation, 100% paid medical benefits, access to the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Training Center and more.
Come to Colorado Springs, ranked No. 4 as a Best Place to Live by U.S. News & World Report in its 2020-2021 survey! USA Triathlon was selected as one of Front Office Sports Best Employers in Sports in 2020 and 2021! USA Triathlon was also selected as an honorable mention in Outside Magazine’s 2020 and 2021 Best Places to Work. (https://www.outsideonline.com/2418305/best-places-work-2020). USA Triathlon has been nationally recognized for its commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Access, having been awarded the USOPC’s Advancements in Diversity and Inclusion Award in 2017 and the USOPC’s National Governing Bodies’ Diversity & Inclusion Choice Award in 2018, 2019 and 2021. Be part of the Olympic & Paralympic movement. Hone your skills and expertise while creating opportunities for triathletes to live their best lives.
We hope you are ready for a fulfilling challenge.
USA Triathlon strives to be a leader in the Olympic and Paralympic movement. The Senior Counsel is an executive in the organization responsible for leading and implementing best practices and is ultimately responsible for governance, legal, risk, compliance and athlete safety.
The Senior Counsel will be an advocate for the organization and its constituents by developing and maintaining relationships with the U.S Center for SafeSport and United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC). The role is responsible for supporting and leading a team that delivers against daily compliance metrics regarding SafeSport training and background check requirements across all constituents and staff.
The Senior Counsel will be responsible for leading governance best practices and processes across the organization. The role will also oversee board relationships and implement board and committee requirements.
The Senior Counsel will have a deep understanding of insurance markets and policies. This role will manage insurance broker relationships, coverage requirements, policy renewals and oversee open claims and litigation.
The Senior Counsel is responsible for organizational legal and risk management, overseeing all contract review and negotiations. The Senior Counsel should be able to deal with the majority of legal issues, including arbitration management and collection actions with the ability to outsource for support as needed.
· Provide legal counsel and guidance to USA Triathlon leadership team and Chief Executive Officer, including identifying areas of risk both internally and externally
· Lead risk and crisis management, including insurance renewals
· Serve as insurance broker liaison, provide event services risk support
· Lead the organization’s athlete wellbeing programs, including SafeSport training and anti-doping policies, processes, enforcement and oversight
· Lead all governance requirements including elections, appeals, hearings, bylaws, and committee oversight
· Provide legal counsel on a variety of internal and external matters, organizational strategies and programs
· Draft, review and approve internal and external business policies and processes
· Lead contract negotiations; draft and review all vendor, contractor, partner and volunteer agreements
· Ensure that the organization remains in compliance with applicable laws and regulations
· Advise and help draft athlete selection criteria language
· Prepare and implement organization’s litigation strategy
· Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school
· Ability to be licensed to practice law and in good standing in the state of Colorado
· 5-plus years of relevant experience
· Exceptional business acumen and leadership skills
· Experience working on governance matters and with a Board of Directors
· Risk management, sport and general business contract experience a plus
· Sponsorship Contract Review, Litigation and Arbitration experience a plus
· Clear, concise communicator with outstanding advocacy skills
· Excellent judgment
· Takes initiative and is self-motivated
Location: Colorado Springs Based
Salary Range: $120,000 - $150,000
This is a full time, exempt position
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.