JOB TITLE: Appellate Court Attorney, Level A-D or Senior Appellate Court Attorney
LOCATION: Sacramento, CA
JOB REQUISITION: 5777
The California Court of Appeal, Third Appellate District, located in Sacramento, is accepting applications for an appellate court attorney. The individual(s) selected will be appointed at a level commensurate with their qualifications.
Appellate court attorneys conduct research and prepare case material relating to civil, criminal and juvenile law appeals. Responsibilities may differ depending upon the experience and qualifications of the individual(s) selected. All levels of appellate court attorney perform legal duties and read, review and analyze case records; conduct research of legal issues; draft memoranda and proposed opinions; edit and revise memoranda and proposed opinions; and perform other related work as required. The justice to whom an appeal is assigned directs, reviews and edits staff work product.
• Review, evaluate, and analyzes briefs, petitions, motions, and other pertinent documents filed in a particular case in order to determine factual accuracy, legal issues on appeal, and scope and complexity of issues raised.
• Prepare written statements of facts pursuant to rules of appellate review.
• Analyzes legal issues raised by parties.
• Read and applies cases, statutes, constitutional provisions, and rules of court cited by parties.
• Conduct independent research for relevant cases, statutes, court rules, and secondary sources not cited by parties.
• Research legislative history and intent of particular statutes.
• Draft conference memoranda, opinions, orders, and requests for supplemental briefing.
• Use citator services to verify precedential value of citations.
• Consult with other attorneys and/or professional staff regarding issues on appeal.
• Attend oral arguments.
• Review, evaluate, and analyzes petitions for rehearing.
• Serve on court committees as required.
• Conduct special legal research and assignments when requested, including editing of work prepared by court externs.
Level A: Active membership in the State Bar of California.
Level B: Active membership in the State Bar of California and the equivalent of two years of post-bar legal experience in a legal setting such as a private law practice, corporation, government agency, law school, court, or legal publishing company.
Equivalent to two years of post-bar legal experience in a legal setting as described above, including one year of experience as an appellate attorney, Level A, with the judicial branch.
Level C: Active membership in the State Bar of California and the equivalent of three years of post-bar legal experience in a legal setting such as a private law practice, corporation, government agency, law school, court, or legal publishing company.
One year of experience as an appellate attorney, Level B, with the judicial branch.
Level D: Active membership in the State Bar of California and the equivalent of four years of post-bar legal experience in a legal setting such as a private law practice, corporation, government agency, law school, court, or legal publishing company.
One year of experience as an appellate attorney, Level C, with the judicial branch.
Senior: Active membership in the State Bar of California and the equivalent of six years of post-bar legal experience, including substantial appellate experience, in a legal setting such as a private law practice, corporation, government agency, law school, court, or legal publishing company.
Two years of experience as an appellate attorney, Level D, with the judicial branch.
• Work experience as a law clerk to a federal judge after passing a state bar but prior to formal state bar admission will be considered equivalent to post-bar legal experience.
• For external candidates for the Senior Appellate Court Attorney class, the Administrative Presiding Justice must certify that the candidate possesses “substantial appellate experience.”
Please note, if you are selected for hire, verification of employment eligibility or authorization to work in the United States will be required.
HOW TO APPLY
This position requires the submission of our official application, a resume and a response to the supplemental questions. To ensure consideration of your application for the earliest round of interviews, please apply by 5:00 P.M. on Monday, January 9, 2023.
To complete an online application go to job opening #5777 at https://www.courts.ca.gov/careers.htm
The Judicial Council provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities who request such accommodation. Reasonable accommodation needs should be requested through Human Resources at (415) 865-4260. Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (415) 865-4272.
PAYMENT & BENEFITS
Level A: $6,147 per month
Level B: $7,442 - $9,452 per month
Level C: $8,182 - $10,396 per month
Level D: $9,414 - $12,567 per month
Senior: $10,658 - $14,224 per month
Some highlights of our benefits package include:
• Health/Dental/Vision benefits program
• 14 paid holidays per calendar year
• Choice of Annual Leave or Sick/Vacation Leave
• 1 personal holiday per year
• Up to $130 per month reimbursement for qualifying commuting costs
• CalPERS Retirement Plan
• 401(k) and 457 deferred compensation plans
• Employee Assistance Program
• Basic Life and AD&D Insurance
• FlexElect Program
• Long Term Care Program (employee paid/optional)
• Group Legal Plan (employee paid/optional)
The Third District Court of Appeal Is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
A supplemental questionnaire follows this announcement.
Supplemental Questionnaire for
Appellate Court Attorney A – D, or Senior Appellate Court Attorney
To better assess the qualifications of each applicant, we ask that you respond to the following inquiries. Your response should be no more than two pages in length.
1. The position of appellate court attorney involves drafting legal memoranda and assisting the court in researching and drafting appellate opinions in a wide variety of matters. Extensive independent research, analysis and writing on complex legal issues are required. Please describe, in some detail, the relevant experience you have had in performing comparable work and indicate why you believe your experience and skills qualify you for the position. Also, please explain why you are interested in this position.
2. Please provide your date of admission to the State Bar of California.