About Safe Passage Project
Safe Passage Project provides free lawyers to young refugees and immigrants who are being deported. To date, we have supported more than 1,000 young people in NYC. The New York Immigration Court has more than 15,000 cases involving unaccompanied minors on its docket, many of whom are fleeing trauma such as gang violence and recruitment, abuse, and sexual assault.
Immigrant children are not afforded free legal representation by the government, regardless of their age. As a result more than half of immigrant children must go through immigration proceedings without the aid of a lawyer. Without a lawyer, more than 80% of children are issued deportation orders, returning to the danger from which they fled. This is where Safe Passage Project steps in, providing free legal assistance to these refugees and immigrant children in New York City and Long Island.
About the Role
The Supervising Attorney will be joining a group of exceptional public interest attorneys to directly impact the lives of immigrant children looking for safety and security. The Supervising Attorney will supervise a team of attorneys and a paralegal in providing legal representation in immigration and other related proceedings, including cases involving asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, and other forms of immigration relief. The Supervising Attorney will also mentor pro bono attorneys doing similar work and will participate in the leadership of Safe Passage Project.
● Supervise and manage a team of attorneys and a paralegal representing minors in removal proceedings before the Executive Offices for Immigration Review (EOIR) in New York, Asylum Office, USCIS, and Family Court;
● Supervise and mentor pro bono attorneys with Safe Passage Project;
● Collaborate with Senior Staff in the analysis and creation of legal strategies;
● Contribute to the creation of policies and strategies for Safe Passage Project;
● Supervise and provide detailed reporting statistics on each case mentored and represented directly; and
● Prepare trainings and materials to present at Safe Passage Project trainings.
The strongest candidates for this position will have most, though likely not all, of the following qualifications and characteristics:
● J.D. degree and admission to New York State Bar (required);
● Four (4) or more years of immigration law experience
● Interest in management and developing management skills to further the organization’s mission;
● Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively on an interdisciplinary team in a fast-paced, high-intensity environment;
● Excellent written, analytical, oral, organizational, and time management skills;
● Spanish language skills (preferred);
● Experience working with diverse communities;
● Experience working with children;
● A commitment to the work of Safe Passage Project and readiness to grow and learn with the Safe Passage Project team.
Compensation and Benefits
Safe Passage Project offers competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. In addition, Safe Passage Project offers medical, dental & vision insurance, 401K with employer match, disability insurance, commuter benefits, FSA/HSA accounts, flexible work environment including the opportunity to work from home, flexible hours, unlimited time off, and 12 weeks of paid family leave. The team works on a beautiful campus at a terrific office location in Tribeca and every employee has access to support for professional development. Safe Passage Project is proud to have a top-down, bottom-up commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
How to Apply:
Please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, to email@example.com with the subject line “Senior Immigration Attorney - Long Island.”
Safe Passage Project is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.