The Senior Privacy Counsel will enable the development and execution of innovative data-driven business initiatives while ensuring compliance with global data privacy, cyber and data protection laws. The successful candidate will: 1) provide expert legal counseling to ensure privacy and data protection compliance, and 2) provide leadership and subject matter expertise on projects to generally drive the continued improvement and implementation of Pfizer’s global privacy program.
- Act as subject matter expert on all matters relating to global privacy law, including providing practical, timely, strategic, and high-quality legal advice on data privacy and security matters.
- Provide pragmatic legal advice on data driven projects while anticipating and successfully navigating privacy considerations. This may include advising on patient support programs, clinical development and scientific research, mobile applications, artificial intelligence, data analytics, software as a medical device.
- Strategically assess potential privacy risks with innovative new initiatives and develop appropriate controls, training and guidance to ensure compliant with applicable privacy and security regulations.
- Monitor developments in global data privacy and cyber laws (and related legislation and industry practices). Support operationalization of compliance with regional and local laws such as HIPAA, CCPA/CPRA.
- Partner with government affairs on privacy and cyber related government policy/regulation affecting the company.
- Support of Global Privacy Committee and upkeep and development of policies, procedures, and guidance documents. Support and develop the company’s privacy program to enable consistent, effective data privacy practices and minimize privacy risk.
- Acting as subject matter expert and internal escalation point for data protection issues in contracting. Provide privacy advice throughout M&A transactions including post close integration activities.
- Educate business clients through targeted counseling, training and awareness programs. Develop and review content for privacy training materials and other communications to increase employee understanding of company privacy policies.
- Provide privacy counseling in the area of data breach response.
- Champion Pfizer’s Privacy Principles
- JD from accredited law school and current bar membership in good standing
- 10 years of privacy experience at a law firm or in-house legal department including life science or pharmaceutical experience
- Knowledge of major privacy laws including HIPAA and US State laws
- A high degree of credibility, independence, integrity and trust and ability to work effectively and sensitively in a matrix organization across multiple geographies and cultures often with senior leaders while managing a high volume of varied projects
- Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact
Nice To Have:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including strong oral presentation and project management skills
- Sound and practical business judgment and decision making
- Strong interpersonal skills