Title: Assistant Counsel
NYC Parks is the steward of over 30,000 acres of land – 14 percent of New York City – including more than 5,000 individual properties ranging from Coney Island Beach and Central Park to community gardens. We operate more than 800 athletic fields and nearly 1,000 playgrounds, 1,800 basketball courts, 550 tennis courts, 65 public pools, 51 recreational facilities, 15 nature centers, 14 golf courses and 14 miles of beaches. Located in Central Park, the Office of the General Counsel is an exciting opportunity to gain hands-on experience in a variety of practice areas. Attorneys at NYC Parks handle issues involving labor and employment, art and entertainment, first amendment, environmental, land use/real estate, contract negotiation and drafting, rule-making and litigation in city, state and federal forums.
· Under close supervision, assist in negotiation and drafting of agreements on behalf of the Agency, including agreements for the operation of the Agency’s concessions and the maintenance and operation of properties and facilities.
· Research and advise Agency staff on a variety of legal issues related to the usage of agency property and relations with public and private entities.
· Perform legal research and draft memoranda and correspondence for General Counsel’s office.
· Work with the New York City Law Department concerning on-going litigation matters, including discovery and witness preparation.
· Respond to Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) requests.
Graduation from an accredited United States law school as defined in the Rules of the New York Court of Appeals (Sections 520.3 or 520.5) or admission to the New York State Bar.
Incumbents must remain Members of the New York State Bar in good standing for the duration of this employment.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
1. Demonstrated interest in public service.
2. Ability to handle confidential matters.
3. Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
4. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and organizational skills
Salary: $62,397 - $71,757 plus excellent benefits
Work Location: Arsenal, Manhattan
Apply by: 05/19/2023
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 584111
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.
THE CITY OF NEW YORK IS AN INCLUSIVE EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO RECRUITING AND RETAINING A DIVERSE WORKFORCE AND PROVIDING A WORK ENVIRONMENT THAT IS FREE FROM DISCRIMINATION AND HARASSMENT BASED UPON ANY LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS OR PROTECTED CHARACTERISTIC, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO AN INDIVIDUAL'S SEX, RACE, COLOR, ETHNICITY, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, RELIGION, DISABILITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, VETERAN STATUS, GENDER IDENTITY, OR PREGNANCY.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS DEVICE FOR THE DEAF: (212) 504-4115