POSITION: Deputy City Attorney
DIVISION: Criminal and Community Justice Divisions
SALARY: $89,997 - $170,236 (See Supplemental Information and Notes)
The Criminal Division of the San Diego City Attorney's Office is seeking applications from attorneys who are interested in a position as a Deputy City Attorney. Our deputies prepare and prosecute misdemeanor criminal cases in the City of San Diego by handling a variety of motions, misdemeanor jury trials, and conducting legal research. Strong preference will be given to applicants with some courtroom experience who have tried cases to jury verdict. These are entry level positions (Deputy City Attorney I & II) as well as positions for applicants with experience prosecuting criminal cases and/or handling complex civil litigation matters (Deputy City Attorney III, IV and V). Those hired will be assigned initially as prosecutors in our General Trial Unit, the Domestic Violence & Sex Crimes Unit, or assigned as needed to strengthen the teams within the Criminal and Community Justice Divisions.
Work-life balance is important to us! The City Attorney's Office generally supports remote teleworking and the position may allow for a hybrid schedule with a mix of in-office and remote work after the introductory and probationary period. Please refer to the Office's teleworking policy.
The City of San Diego offers a comprehensive benefits package including, but not limited to, the following:
• Participation in the City's Flexible Benefits Plan which offers several optional benefit plans or a taxable cash option;
• $50,000 in City-paid life insurance;
• Paid annual leave accruing at 22 days per year;
• Parental Leave – Up to 8 weeks of paid leave;
• Tuition Reimbursement up to $2,000 for the cost of professional tuition and equipment purchases per each fiscal year;
• Retirement - San Diego City Employees Retirement System (SDCERS) defined benefits;
• Holidays – 11 paid holidays are provided annually & 1 Floating Holiday in a fiscal year;
• Free MTS transit pass;
• City Awarded Discretionary Leave; and
• Bereavement Leave - Up to 40 hours of paid leave each fiscal year.
The following wage increases are scheduled to effect for Deputy City Attorneys:
How to Apply:
The San Diego City Attorney’s Office accepts online applications. To apply, select the position title of the job opportunity and click the "Apply" link. If you need assistance, please refer to our online employment application guide.