Director of Financial Aid, School of Law
The Office of Financial Aid, Education and Planning at the University of Virginia School of Law seeks a Director of Financial Aid. This is a University Executive and Senior Administrative Staff position reporting to the Assistant Dean for Financial Aid, Education and Planning.
The Director of Financial Aid will focus on providing the highest standard of integrated student customer/client service while complying with applicable federal and state laws and regulations, as well as University policies.
The Director of Financial Aid will:
- Manage the comprehensive review of law student financial aid applications and determine eligibility of all financial aid from federal, state, and/or institutional sources.
- Manage all aspects of the federal Direct Loan Program, including loan awarding, processing, return of funds, and reconciliation. Conduct student loan entrance and exit counseling sessions and monitor compliance with all federal and institutional policies. Monitor timely disbursement of funds.
- Oversee compliance with federal legislation and regulations and work with committees to disseminate information, provide guidance, and develop and document policy and procedures.
- Maintain compliance with Return to Title IV Aid and Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Counsel law students through all aspects of the law school life cycle, from pre-law strategic planning to post-graduation financial advising. Provide individual counseling to students on financial issues such as debt management, loan repayment, financial literacy, and regulatory guidelines.
- Stay up to date on financial aid regulations, policies, procedures and financial counseling through self-directed professional reading, participation in professional development courses, and networking with professional contacts in the financial aid and student finance arena.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Four years’ experience in financial aid required; seven or more years’ progressively responsible experience in higher education financial aid preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of financial aid including all components of the federal financial aid system. This includes working knowledge of Federal Department of Education Financial Aid Programs, specifically Direct Loans, Return to Title IV Aid and Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Committed to providing quality assistance to a socio-economically diverse student population.
- Demonstrated ability to provide innovative responsiveness to problem-solving within a team environment.
- Process-oriented and able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment. Can exercise good judgment when faced with difficult decisions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong technical skills, including facility with databases, Microsoft Office required. Experience with PeopleSoft, ImageNow, Department of Education Web Applications are strongly preferred.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings and programs.
This position requires most work to be performed in person at the Law School, with the opportunity to perform a limited amount of work remotely in accordance with Law School policy.
Apply online at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs search for requisition 'R0052117'. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile. Complete the application, and attach the following:
- Cover letter
- Names and contact information for three professional references
*** Please note that ALL REQUESTED documents MUST be uploaded in the resume submission field, and you can combine documents into one PDF. ***
**Applications that do not have all the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment.
Questions regarding the position should be directed to Matt Wakeman, Assistant Dean for Financial Aid, Education & Planning, School of Law at email@example.com. Questions regarding the application process should be directed to Marcus Rozier, Academic Recruiter firstname.lastname@example.org.
The School of Law is located in Charlottesville, VA, a college town setting with natural beauty and significant historical relevance in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Charlottesville is a wonderful place to live with an extraordinary quality of life, often ranked among the best places to live in the United States.
For more information about UVA and the Charlottesville community please see http://www.virginia.edu/life/charlottesville and https://embarkcva.com/.