We currently have an opportunity available for a Senior Workers’ Compensation Trial Attorney to join our OneBeacon Staff Counsel team in our New York City office, located at One State Street Plaza. This position independently provides legal representation and defense counsel for insureds before courts, arbitration panels, or other bodies and advises OneBeacon Claim employees in their handling of litigated claim matters. In addition, the Senior Workers’ Compensation Trial Attorney is responsible for completion of caseload and trial work of moderate complexity, whether by settlement, trial or appeal. The Senior Workers’ Compensation Trial Attorney also coaches and mentors junior members of the team.
- Handles a workload of defense files representing OneBeacon’s insureds in Workers' Compensation matters in New York and New Jersey. Responsible for maintenance and completion of caseload and trial work of moderate complexity, whether by settlement, trial or appeal.
- Conducts all appropriate legal action to best protect the interests of the client(s) on all assigned cases. Prepares appeals and performs necessary research on motions.
- Broad authority to negotiate settlements with plaintiffs’ attorneys.
- Provides frequent communication and measurement of corporate and local goals.
- Coaches and mentor junior members of the team in preparation for trials involving Workers' Compensation claims.
- Interfaces and provides counsel to other OneBeacon Claims staff as cases develop through trial or resolution.
- Reviews and reports all large cases to managing attorney, prepares timely reports as required and schedules/attends conferences with other Claims staff to review pending litigation.
- Actively provides strategic and tactical input to management on budgetary and office operations. Provides consultation as to the proper resolution of defense files litigated on behalf of insureds.
- Maintains a strong professional knowledge of legal environments and applies this information effectively.
- Must have the ability to diagnose, analyze and solve complex problems.
- Exceptional management skills, including informal training and formal development of staff.
- Must have proven critical thinking, decision making, problem-solving, communication, negotiation, and teamwork skills.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office suite.
Education and Experience:
- 7-10 years of experience litigating Workers’ Compensation claims in New York and New Jersey.
- 3-5 years of supervisory experience, preferred.
- Substantial experience with discovery depositions, mediations and first chair trials required.
- JD required.
- Current license to practice law in NY and NJ.
- Occupational accident, independent contractors and subrogation experience helpful but not necessary.