At Hall Render, as a national law firm focused exclusively on health care, we believe that ethical conduct is not just a responsibility, it's a way of life. We're seeking a passionate and experienced Conflicts & Compliance Counsel to join our team and help carry out our mission of elevating health care while upholding the highest ethical standards.
Reporting directly to the Hall Render’s General Counsel, you'll be responsible for:
- Championing ethical practices across the Firm’s offices:
- Developing and delivering engaging training programs on professional responsibility and ethical conduct;
- Advising attorneys and staff on ethical issues and ensuring compliance with professional responsibility rules;
- Assisting with onboarding and training of new hires on ethics and compliance topics; and
- Collaborating with firm leadership to integrate ethics and compliance into all aspects of our operations.
- Providing expert guidance and support:
- Serving as the firm’s Conflicts attorney and working with the firm’s Conflicts team to analyze engagements, draft appropriate waivers, and conduct legal analysis for attorneys;
- Analyzing complex ethical issues and providing insightful legal opinions and memoranda;
- Managing conflicts of interest and advising on client engagement matters;
- Working on Firm-related legal matters with General Counsel, including auditing firm policies and developing new policies and procedures where necessary to ensure ethical best practices, and ongoing updates to firm leadership on risk management topics including professional liability insurance and firm legal matters;
- Evaluating state business licensure requirements and overseeing filings accordingly in partnership with external vendor;
- Overseeing review of the firm’s engagement letter content, repository, and cataloging;
- Reviewing and providing input on the firm’s vendor agreements;
- Partnering with Administrative departments on legal/ethical issues, such as working with IT on cybersecurity planning; and
- Partnering with attorneys to ensure ethical client representation.
- Staying ahead of the curve:
- Researching and staying current with evolving legal updates and developments in professional responsibility.
- Identifying and implementing best practices to enhance our professional responsibility practices; and
- Participating in industry forums and committees to share our expertise and learn from others.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A Juris Doctor (JD) degree.
- 5+ years of experience practicing professional responsibility law, either in-house or at a law firm.
- An unwavering commitment to ethical conduct and a demonstrated interest in professional responsibility substantive work.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to navigate complex ethical dilemmas.
- Exceptional communication skills to engage audiences, deliver training, and provide clear and concise legal advice.
- The ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities with a meticulous attention to detail.
- A strong understanding of professional responsibility rules and ethics (e.g., ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct).
- Admission to the bar in the state in which you are located.
- A demonstrated commitment to handling confidential and sensitive information with discretion.
As a Professional Ethics Champion at Hall Render, you'll enjoy:
- A competitive salary and benefits package.
- The opportunity to make a tangible impact on the firm's culture and reputation.
- Meaningful contributions to upholding the highest ethical standards within the legal profession.
- The chance to learn from and collaborate with experienced legal professionals.
- A supportive and inclusive workplace culture that values diversity.
The preference is that this attorney is based in the Indianapolis office. However, candidates will be considered for the Dallas, Denver, Milwaukee, Raleigh, Troy, and Washington D.C. offices, depending on the candidate’s skillset and experience. For purposes of complying with Colorado pay transparency requirements, a good faith estimation of the annualized salary range for this role will be $100,000 to $150,000, depending on the candidate’s overall experience and other job-related factors permitted by law.
If you're an accomplished legal professional who thrives on making a difference and is dedicated to building a culture of ethical excellence, we encourage you to apply.
Hall Render is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our firm. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.