Job Title: Senior Attorney, Privacy and Commercial
Job ID: 12460899
Job Function: Regular
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Job Category: Legal
Business Unit: Office of General Counsel
Business Unit Description
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million that helps people turn their goals and dreams into ‘Real Possibilities’ by changing the way America defines aging. With staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, AARP works to strengthen communities and promote the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare security, financial security and personal fulfillment. AARP also advocates for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name.
The Office of General Counsel strives to actively and effectively represent the Association and its affiliates’ legal interests and to facilitate the efforts of staff and volunteers in fulfilling AARP’s mission. We providelegal guidance to the AARP Board of Directors and its committees and staff, the AARP Foundation Board of Directors and staff, AARP Services Board of Directors and staff, and the trustees of the AARP Group Health Insurance Program.
Works on data privacy, commercial and media issues for AARP and its affiliates. Supports the privacy officer in enforcing privacy policies, ensuring internal and third party privacy compliance, negotiates privacy contract provisions, review media content for publication, support commercial and mission related transactions.
As Senior Counsel, provides legal counsel and advice on a variety of issues, performing legal research, and managing outside counsel. Portfolio could vary based on experience of the individual and the needs of the organization.
– J.D. degree plus a minimum of 4 years’ experience in contract negotiations, legal research. Specific experience in privacy a plus but not required.
-Must be or be able to become a member in good standing with the District of Columbia bar.
– Excellent oral and written communication skills. Customer friendly approach to working with internal clients.
– Independent worker with good judgment to escalate complex issues when necessary.
– Ability to become familiar and keep abreast of data privacy, IP and media laws and requirements.
– Must function with the highest degree of integrity and ethical standards. Passion for our nonprofit mission a definite positive.
– Ability to handle different subject areas, pivot as needed, prioritize, with strong attention to detail
– Must be customer-oriented, approachable, responsive, engaging and a team player.
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401K, 100% company funded pension plan, health, dental, vision and life insurance, STD/LTD, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.
Equal Employment Opportunity
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.