PRACTICE GROUP LEADER, CUSTOMER & PATIENT-FACING PRACTICE GROUP, DIRECTOR/ ASSISTANT GENERAL COUNSEL OR SENIOR DIRECTOR/ASSOCIATE GENERAL COUNSEL HEALTHCARE LAW
South San Francisco, California
Job ID: 202011-128529
APPLY FOR THIS JOB
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Practice Group Leader (PGL) leads the Customer & Patient-Facing Practice Group, which is responsible for providing legal, regulatory and compliance counseling to the teams responsible for customer and patient-facing commercial and medical activities and operations. Responsibilities of the PGL include:
Practice Group and Personnel Management
- Developing and driving a clear Practice Group vision and strategy and may assist in developing strategy for other practice groups or the broader Legal Department.
- Overseeing legal services provided by the Practice Group and helping ensure the consistency of legal advice related to FDA law and regulation, healthcare fraud and abuse, pharmacovigilance, advertising and labeling, product liability, pricing and reimbursement, antitrust, privacy, and other matters relevant to the commercialization of products.
- Overseeing workload and resource allocation for the Practice Group by ensuring appropriate, fit-for-purpose allocation of legal resources, managing any bandwidth conflicts, and supporting direct reports on the prioritization of high value work and assignments.
- Conducting performance management and professional development of attorneys and staff in the Practice Group and for attorneys and staff across the HLG and the broader Legal Department. Leading recruitment, hiring and on-boarding for direct-report positions.
- Managing outside counsel, providing advice and deliverables to HLG and, where applicable, negotiating rates, project fees, and timelines.
- Serving as a standing member of the Healthcare Law Leadership Team (HLLT)
- Owning and contributing to HLLT and HLG-wide and Legal department projects and initiatives
- Contributing to the development and implementation of the HLG’s longer term strategies and annual goals
- Contributing to the HLG talent management and succession planning
- Cultivating an HLG and broader Legal Department culture that reflects a strong commitment to employee engagement, diversity and inclusion, and collaboration ● Rotating into leadership of different HLG Practice Groups, as needed
- Identifying proactively and seizing opportunities to create value and manage legal issues, fostering strong relationships with client groups, creating efficient and effective processes for working with clients, advising and/or delegating authority to advise senior leaders in the commercial and medical affairs organizations, and acting as a standing or ad hoc member of business or leadership teams
- Participating in, leading and/or presenting to various Company committees or other advisory, project or work teams
- Candidates must have a JD with appropriate state license OR registered in-house counsel
- 12 or more years of relevant practice experience, have at least 3 years serving as a strategic, trusted advisor to senior executives and have 3 or more years of experience as an effective manager or mentor and coach of attorneys.
- Required skills and experience include knowledge of and experience with US laws and regulations governing healthcare fraud and abuse, pharmacovigilance, GMP, advertising and labeling, product liability, pricing and reimbursement, antitrust, privacy, and other matters relevant to the commercialization of pharmaceutical products.
- The successful candidate must have the demonstrated ability to build and maintain professional relationships, trust, and respect with clients and peers, as well as the ability to proactively identify and manage significant legal issues.
- Strong leadership, technical knowledge, business acumen, and excellent communication skills are required as is a track record of effective, courageous, decision-making and the proven ability to assess, calibrate, and effectively communicate legal risk.
You must also have the ability to effectively:
- Lead with a growth mindset and be able to inspire others to continuously learn and grow;
- Display agility and focus on prioritization and improvement of systems and processes to enhance efficiency and productivity within the Practice Group;
- Leverage managerial courage required to counsel senior leaders and tackle difficult or challenging issues beyond the practice area;
- Apply situational leadership to effectively lead a team of experienced attorneys, and coach and mentor personnel; and
- Demonstrate the organizational savvy and diplomatic sensitivities necessary to collaborate effectively with cross-functional client teams.
Who We Are
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are
dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
Who We Are
Genentech, a member of the Roche group and founder of the biotechnology industry, is dedicated to pursuing groundbreaking science to discover and develop medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. To solve the world's most complex health challenges, we ask bigger questions that challenge our industry and the boundaries of science to transform society. Our transformational discoveries include the first targeted antibody for cancer and the first medicine for primary progressive multiple sclerosis.
Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) are critical to the success of our company and our impact on society. We believe that by championing diversity of background, thought and experience, we can foster a sense of belonging and provide an environment where every employee feels valued, included, and able to contribute their best for the patients we serve. We’re focused on attracting, retaining, developing and advancing our people to their full potential by rewarding bold ways of thinking and integrating inclusive behaviors into every aspect of our work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the "Apply for this job" button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disaaability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.