The National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Association (NFPRHA) is hiring a Senior Director to help support the association’s federal and state regulatory and legal strategy. The position will support NFPRHA’s Health Care Strategy & Analysis (HCSA) program, focused on carrying out NFPRHA’s regulatory analysis, education, and advocacy goals at the federal and state levels. Additionally, the position will support NFPRHA’s ongoing legal work. This position is grant dependent and the maximum salary is $130,000.
- Tracks and analyzes state and federal regulations in policy areas identified in collaboration with the Vice President, HCSA, as well as important litigation impacting NFPRHA’s interests.
- Collaborates with NFPRHA’s programmatic functions to identify proactive opportunities for implementing and/or improving family planning and sexual health-related regulations at the federal and state levels.
- Develops, recommends, and implements strategies for promulgating new and/or improved federal and state regulations and policies in support of NFPRHA’s policy and service delivery goals.
- Identifies health care and other trends impacting the delivery of high-quality family planning care in the United States and recommends actions related to such trends.
- Assists Vice President, HCSA, and NFPRHA President & CEO in managing NFPRHA litigation efforts, including working directly with NFPRHA’s pro-bono counsel.
- Prepares NFPRHA comments and template comments for NFPRHA members and others to respond to regulatory changes, in support of regulations that support publicly funded family planning and opposing harmful regulatory efforts.
- Represent NFPRHA in provider/professional association groups and in family planning and other health care policy coalitions.
- Prepares written communications and materials for NFPRHA staff, Board, and members, on key regulatory issues and their impacts on NFPRHA members and the field of family planning and sexual health.
- Participates in HCSA and other NFPRHA meetings related to regulatory affairs and/or legal action.
- Drafts legal memoranda, analyses and other documents as needed.
- Assists in responding to and processing questions on regulations, legislation, and legal issues from NFPRHA staff, Board, and members.
- Identifies opportunities to expand and leverage coalitions, allies, and stakeholders.
- Enhances NFPRHA’s presence and profile in DC and nationally.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Applicants must possess a law degree (Juris Doctor) from an ABA-approved law school
- Five to seven years’ experience in public health, policy, or state and/or federal governmental experience.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills, including both high-level legal writing and the ability to write on complex legal topics for a general audience.
- LEXIS proficiency is preferable.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Broad knowledge of family planning and public health issues
- Readiness to adjust schedule to accommodate Congressional and regulatory calendars
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and analytical ability
- Solid problem-solving skills including identifying and recommending solutions
- Detail-oriented with strong follow-up skills
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Excellent grammar and proofreading skills
- Ability to think of creative solutions to problems; comfortable trying new tactics or strategies
- Ability to work well in a team environment and independently to achieve common objectives
- Ability to exercise sound judgment
- Ability to work with multiple projects, priorities and deadlines
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with others
- Able to work both independently and as a member of teams with colleagues and partners of varied background and
- Possess a personal approach that respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, and socioeconomic
- Good sense of humor and willingness to pitch in where needed
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Willingness and ability to travel to meet project/program
- Applicants outside of the DC area will be considered.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a cover letter, resume, and legal writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org: please include “Senior Director, Health Care Strategy & Analysis (HCSA)” in the subject line. No phone calls.