Who We Are
The Standard is an insurance and financial services company headquartered in Portland, OR. The company has approximately 3,000 employees, 6 million customers and $34 billion in assets under administration.
Location: Candidates seeking a remote position are welcome to apply. This position will require occasional travel to The Standard’s offices in Portland, OR and Cincinnati, OH.
What You’ll Do
You’ll lead a team of attorneys and retirement plan consultants to ensure accurate and timely advice is provided to senior leadership in our Asset Management Group, which includes Retirement Plans and Annuities. As a member of the Legal and Compliance leadership team, you’ll demonstrate and lead a culture of continuous quality and performance improvement, acting act as the company’s legal representative and providing legal counsel to company management.
Legal Management Function:
- Responsible for managing the work environment, identifying workforce needs and ensuring the team’s alignment with Legal and Compliance department expectations, values and vision.
- Create team goals that support the business plan and department strategies and maximize the opportunity to achieve those goals.
- Utilize mentoring, coaching and the company’s performance management program to continually improve the quality of the team’s legal work product.
- Collaborate with other members of the legal management team to seek out process improvements and organizational changes that improve legal service quality and responsiveness.
- Create opportunities to increase the subject matter scope of attorney experience and expertise without jeopardizing efficiencies.
- Manage and obtain services of outside counsel to complement available internal legal resources.
Legal Practice Function:
- Provide expert legal analysis, risk assessment and advice to the business on complex matters. Engage in problem solving that advances business objectives in a manner that is consistent with applicable state and federal law.
- Act as the company’s legal representative and advocate with respect to external customers (clients, litigants and governmental authorities).
- Provide legal counsel to company management as requested.
The Skills and Background You’ll Need
- Education: Doctor of Jurisprudence.
- Experience: 5-10 years relevant experience or the equivalent combination of education and/or relevant experience.
- Experience managing and leading people, either directly or through matrixed relationships, strongly preferred.
- Professional certification required: Licensed to practice law in the applicable state. Membership in the State Bar of Oregon or eligibility for admission based on reciprocity or House-Counsel.
What You’ll Get From Us
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- An engaging and inclusive work environment
- A performance driven culture with respect for people