The firm is seeking a mid-level associate (3-6 years of experience) with demonstrated electric regulatory experience. The ideal candidate has aptitude for detailed work on energy regulatory and policy matters, particularly the interpretation and application of the Federal Power Act to wholesale markets and bulk transmission system operations.
Preferred skills and qualifications:
- Foundational knowledge of the Federal Power Act, the Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act (PURPA) and other federal energy laws
- Experience in administrative litigation and settlement matters before FERC
- Knowledge of, and experience with: (i) FERC cost-of-service ratemaking policies and practices; (ii) open access transmission service and interconnection matters; (iii) market-based rate authorizations; and (iv) market rules for wholesale energy, capacity and ancillary services
- Experience with negotiation of power purchase and capacity agreements
- Knowledge of FERC’s Standards of Conduct
- Strong analytical research and writing skills
- Excellent communication skills
Experience before state utility commissions also is highly valued.