Earthjustice is accepting applications for a Deputy Managing Attorney to join our team of lawyers and advocates working at the Rocky Mountain Regional Office. Candidates should have at least ten years of litigation experience, as well as experience supporting the professional development of less senior attorneys through training and mentorship. The position will be located in Denver.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the nation’s premier nonprofit environmental law organization with a distinguished track record of achieving significant and lasting environmental protections. We wield the power of the law and the strength of partnerships to protect people’s health; preserve magnificent places and wildlife; speed the transition from fossil fuels to clean energy; and combat climate change. We partner with other organizations, supporters, and citizens to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and to bring about positive change.
The Rocky Mountain Office’s work focuses on Colorado, Arizona, Utah and other states in the interior West. Its cases primarily involve (1) protecting public lands and wildlife from fracking, mining, and other threats; (2) quickly and equitably shifting states from dirty fossil fuels to clean, renewable energy; and (3) protecting communities disproportionately impacted by pollution and other environmental harms. There are currently five Staff Attorneys, five Associate Attorneys, a Policy Advocate, and a professional staff.
Management (approximately 50%)
- Responsible for overseeing the Associate Attorney program, including managing workload; providing continuous and consistent performance feedback; mentoring and assisting in career advancement; and working with Associate Attorneys to create and achieve professional development goals.
- Work with Managing Attorney to create or identify opportunities and events for team-building and staff engagement activities.
- Contribute to the office’s learning culture by, g., encouraging and facilitating debriefing after completion of significant stages of projects and ongoing collaborative learning.
- Work with the Managing Attorney and other staff to recruit, evaluate, and hire qualified candidates for open positions.
- Help ensure the advancement of Earthjustice’s diversity, equity, and inclusion goals and values.
- Work with the Managing Attorney and Senior Legal Practice Administrator to implement internal effective operational policies and procedures.
- Work with the Communications Department to advance our work both in the Denver office and, as needed, organization-wide.
- Work with Managing Attorney to support the efforts of the Development Department; engage with new and existing funders.
Litigation (approximately 50%)
- Work with Managing Attorney and team to develop litigation and advocacy strategies to support programmatic goals, including alignment with organization-wide strategic plans, core values, priorities, and other administrative policies and guidance.
- With the support of attorney colleagues and professional staff, handle all aspects of litigation, from case investigation, administrative processes, legal analysis, brief writing and argument.
- Collaborate and manage relationships with co-counsel, clients, and coalition partners.
- Cultivate new and diverse allies and coalition partners in support of our program goals, and that advance our efforts to ensure that equity and social justice considerations inform every aspect of our work.
- Communicate with reporters in connection with litigation work.
- Work effectively with other departments within Earthjustice, including Communications, Development, and Policy and Legislation, to achieve program goals.
- Juris Doctorate (JD) degree.
- A minimum of 10 years of litigation experience, preferably in federal court, and in a position that involved supervision and mentorship of less senior attorneys for a substantial part of that tenure.
- Excellent writing and legal analysis skills; strong professional judgment.
- Licensed to practice law in Colorado, or willing and qualified to apply for and be admitted to Colorado bar membership within 14 months of employment.
- Excellent management skills, including ability to promote the career development of associate attorneys, foster effective communication, collaboration, decision-making, and mutual respect.
- Ability to effectively manage and/or work with a diverse team with strong emotional intelligence and cultural humility.
- Commitment to, and experience in, developing team skills and talents to meet evolving needs and goals.
- Ability to give and receive regular formal and informal positive and constructive feedback in a timely, respectful, and consistent manner, and to incorporate regular debriefing sessions as part of the team’s work routine.
- Strong capacity for strategic thinking, both at the programmatic level and in the context of specific cases.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and partner organizations.
- Commitment to, and experience in, developing team skills and talents to meet the evolving needs of the office and clients.
- Strong skills in communicating litigation and advocacy goals and messages to the media and supporters preferred.
- Commitment to serving the public interest, and a passion for the role of Earthjustice and its mission.
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Ability to contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Salary range is depedent on experience and location.
Salary range in Denver, CO: $153,980 - $181,154
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit the following via Jobvite:
- One- to two-page cover letter that explains your interest in both Earthjustice’s mission and in the Deputy Managing Attorney position, and that describes your approach to effective management and mentorship.
- Writing sample that demonstrates your own legal analysis and writing.
- List of three references.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Click here to apply: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=o4ZGefwH&s=Hispanic_National_Bar_Association
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.