Serve as Staff Attorney and provide legal services as assigned by Chief Legal Officer to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and credit union policies and to protect the credit union’s assets.
- Represent Ascend in creditor litigation and disputes including probate, repossessions, foreclosures and bankruptcy.
- Represent Ascend in other litigation and disputes in consultation with the Chief Legal Officer, including filing pleadings and responses, attending hearings, and post-judgment actions such as filing garnishments and levies.
- Work closely with Asset Recovery and outside counsel, when necessary, to ensure legal action is timely, appropriate and cost effective
- Conduct foreclosure sales and manage REO properties. Oversee the repair, listing and offers concerning the properties.
- In consultation with the Chief Legal Officer, provide legal support to supervisors and employees.
- Respond to subpoenas and government agency requests in compliance with state and federal financial privacy regulations.
- Supervise legal assistants.
Required Education and Experience:
- A law degree from an accredited college or university, and a licensed member of Tennessee bar (or eligible for membership).
- 3 to 5 years of similar or related experience.
- Excellent research, writing and communication abilities.
- A high level of problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Ability and willingness to gain additional competencies and take on additional duties, including management and supervisory responsibilities.
- Familiarity with the operations of a financial institution and applicable laws and regulations.