Who We Are
Collaborative. Respectful. A place to dream and do. These are just a few words that describe what life is like at Toyota. As one of the world’s most admired brands, Toyota is growing and leading the future of mobility through innovative, high-quality solutions designed to enhance lives and delight those we serve. We’re looking for diverse, talented team members who want to Dream. Do. Grow. with us.
Who We’re Looking For
Toyota is currently undergoing a “once in a century” transformation from a car manufacturer into a mobility company. The Mobility Advisory Solutions group (MAS) of Toyota Legal One (TL1) has been at the forefront of this transformation by providing counsel and advice to Toyota’s business leaders in a variety of cutting-edge technology transactions and projects.
With the increased activity and focus on these types of transactions and projects, TL1 seeks an experienced transactional attorney to join the Connected, Autonomous, Shared, and Electric team (CASE) within MAS as Managing Counsel.
The successful candidate will be part of an exciting and diverse team that provides expert counsel and guidance on strategic technology transactions. This role will report to the Assistant General Counsel of MAS and will work and potentially lead mobility projects and initiatives that are highly visible and have broad implications for Toyota’s global operations.
What You’ll Be Doing
• Review, draft, negotiate and manage a wide range of commercial agreements, including hardware and software agreements, cloud and SaaS licenses, and transactions related to data, advanced technology, and other strategic investment and commercial collaboration activities.
• Provide legal advice, counsel, and support related to technology, big data, software, and cybersecurity transactions.
• Provide legal advice, counsel, and support about relevant issues, risks, and complex agreement structures in an agile business environment, working closely with business leads and executives in Toyota Motor North America as well as with affiliates, including our parent company in Japan, Toyota Motor Corporation, in every stage of the transaction process.
• Proactively learn and work on emerging areas of the law, including legal issues involving mobility, autonomous driving, AI, ride/car-sharing, data connectivity, cross-border data-related transactions, and other advanced technology areas, coupled with an ability to work closely with business clients to find solutions in a transformative industry.
• Support the continuous improvement and development of standard legal processes and agreements as the company scales quickly.
What You Bring
• J.D. degree and active membership in good standing in the bar of at least one U.S. state/jurisdiction.
• Solid legal practice experience, working preferably in a major law firm and/or a multinational corporation.
• Demonstrated experience working as part of a cross-functional or culturally diverse team, including working across multiple time-zones and languages and cultures.
• Team player with an ability to work autonomously.
• Ability and willingness to travel 10 to 20% of the time both domestically and internationally for “genchi genbutsu” (go and see the actual issue with your own eyes) to understand the “genba” (actual place of work) and work closely with the business teams on the front line of each matter.
Added Bonus If You Have
• Experience working in the automotive, technology, or mobility industry.
• Experience in complex, joint ventures, corporate governance, manufacturing, supply chain, bankruptcy, regulatory, or compliance matters.
• Experience working in a dynamic international environment.
• Japanese or other bilingual language capabilities is a plus.
• Previous in-house experience, including management and supervision of outside counsel, internal budgets, and project coordination.
What We’ll Bring
During your interview process, our team can fill you in on all the details of our industry-leading benefits and career development opportunities. A few highlights include:
• A work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect.
• Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career, as well as tuition reimbursement.
• Vehicle purchase & lease programs.
• Comprehensive health care and wellness plans for your entire family.
• Flextime and virtual work options (if applicable).
• Toyota 401(k) Savings Plan featuring a company match, as well as an annual retirement contribution from Toyota regardless of whether you contribute.
• Paid holidays and paid time off.
• Referral services related to prenatal services, adoption, childcare, schools, and more.
• Flexible spending accounts.
• Relocation assistance (if applicable).
Belonging At Toyota
Our success begins and ends with our people. We embrace diverse perspectives and value unique human experiences. Respect for all is our North Star. Toyota is proud to have 10+ different Business Partnering Groups across 100 different North American chapter locations that support team members’ efforts to dream, do and grow without questioning that they belong. As a company that has been one of DiversityInc’s Top 50 Companies for Diversity and a member of The Billion Dollar Roundtable supporting minority and woman-owned suppliers for over 10 years, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates the diversity of the communities where we live and do business.
Applicants for our positions are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics.
Have a question or need assistance with your application? Check out the How to Apply section of our careers page on Toyota.com.
To save time applying, Toyota does not offer sponsorship of job applicants for employment-based visas or any other work authorization for this position at this time.