Build America Mutual (BAM) is seeking an associate counsel to join its in-house team of public finance attorneys, which provides legal support to BAM’s new-issue underwriting process, surveillance and remediation of credits in the insured portfolio, and quality execution in the documentation and closing of new business transactions to enhance BAM’s reputation in the market as best in class.
- Manage new issue primary market transactions from underwriting through closing, including: reviewing transaction documents and disclosure materials to identify legal and credit risks during underwriting process; drafting and reviewing commitment letters, including all special conditions, for approved transactions; and reviewing and negotiating transaction documents prior to closing.
- Confer with bond counsel as necessary.
- Support activities of Public Finance Operations to ensure the efficient and timely closing of transactions, including review of BAM and issuer closing certificates, opinions and reserve fund documents.
- Remain actively involved in all relevant legal issues affecting business activities.
- Attend and participate in credit committee and surveillance committee meetings.
- Support needs of Finance, Credit Risk Management and Surveillance groups in connection with BAM’s book of business.
- Support needs of secondary market desk and review secondary trade documents.
- Work closely with legal team, Credit Risk Management, and Underwriting to manage legal issues.
- Assist General Counsel’s office in executing its duties and responsibilities, including review of corporate and IT contracts and confidentiality agreements.
- Continuously work with the legal team and operations team to modify and update BAM’s legal template documentation to streamline the processes and enhance legal risk mitigation efforts. Participate in bi-weekly Process Efficiency Committee meetings to identify and improve efficiency of legal deal processes and procedures to meet departmental and company goals.
- Assist in the dissemination of relevant legal information and tools for BAM staff to use in the execution of their duties and responsibilities (i.e. Legal Blog, Internal Presentations on key legal related topics)
- Experience as bond and/or underwriter’s counsel in a variety of public finance transactions sufficient to advise BAM analysts and credit committee on legal issues presented in a reviewed transaction or related to the public finance market
- 3-6 years of work experience as a public finance bond attorney
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent; J.D. or equivalent; admitted to bar (NY preferred)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well with others both inside and outside the organization
To apply, please email us or visit the Build America Mutual careers site on OneWire: