BuzzFeed is the world’s leading independent digital media and tech company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally and spreads Joy and Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform and entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, and Unsolved to name a few! These properties and their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters and more.
BuzzFeed is hiring an assistant general counsel to work in the company’s law department to lead the privacy, brand trust and safety legal function.
- Provide privacy and data security subject-matter guidance to cross-functional legal colleagues and to the business (including Tech, IT, Human Resources, Ad Sales, Marketing and Data Partnerships).
- Respond to privacy and infosecurity-related data subject inquiries and regulatory investigations, coordinating such responses globally.
- Draft and maintain external privacy notices and disclosures, and manage/update internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with global laws bearing on privacy and cybersecurity.
- Help develop, enhance, scale and run the existing global privacy program, including privacy operations and documentation; employee training; policy enforcement, updating, monitoring and auditing; and incident response. Ensure the program’s ongoing, consistent and efficient operation.
- Work on data security governance, compliance, trust and safety and InfoSec functions to scope and perform data privacy risk assessments, mitigation and remediation, including data control design and monitoring, as well as the mitigation of privacy and security risks.
- Provide privacy-related counseling on contracts and corporate transactions, including deals involving a data licensing component. Manage/update standard data processing addendums and develop new contract forms as needed.
- Remain up-to-date on relevant consumer protection, privacy and data security laws and regulations, as well as on technological developments, threat vectors, and evolving industry standards to ensure an ongoing ability to provide sound compliance advice.
- Attend and represent BuzzFeed at relevant industry groups such as the IAB, and advise on potential public-policy positions.
- Lead other privacy and data protection initiatives as may be assigned.
- Oversee the management of the company’s trademark portfolio, including clearance, filing, prosecution, registration, and enforcement of intellectual property assets.
- Supervise knock-out searches.
- IP counseling, including with respect to commercial activities and transactions.
- Advising on advertising law compliance topics (truth in advertising, disclosures, proper labeling, cannabis, political advertising, adult content, etc.).
- Lead other intellectual property initiatives as may be assigned.
- Consult the facilities and human resources teams on topics related to workplace safety.
- Advise the business on the design and implementation of policies that ensure that visitors to the company’s digital properties enjoy a safe online experience.
- Work with risk management and facilities to assess threat vectors related to the company’s operations.
- Collaborate with the engineering teams to design measures to protect the company’s information on employees and customers.
- Counsel the business on safety issues that might arise in relation to user generated content and on platforms where interactivity or engagement could become potentially problematic.
- Lead other safety initiatives as may be assigned.
- You have strong organizational skills
- You pay careful attention to details and deadlines
- You exercise great discretion and can be trusted with confidential information
- You are comfortable interacting with senior executive management
- You can multitask and prioritize
- You are willing to drive cross-functional initiatives
- You take pride in and are skilled at written and verbal communication
- You are cool under pressure
- You have unimpeachable integrity
- You are diligent, proactive and collaborative
- You possess a sense of humor
- You carry yourself with humility, grace and professionalism
- You are fun, upbeat and have a glass-half-full view of the world
- J.D. and an active membership in at least one state bar.
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) or other similar privacy credential is a strong plus.
- 5-8 years of privacy experience and knowledge of intellectual property. Prior in-house experience and general regulatory compliance experience is a plus.
- Authorization to work in the United States.
- Willingness to work remotely until BuzzFeed offices reopen, with an expectation to physically work in the company’s Manhattan, New York offices thereafter.
- Ability to travel as necessary, including international travel.
- Experience providing pragmatic and actionable advice to clients on various legal risks and obligations under multi-jurisdictional privacy and data security laws in at least the U.S., and UK/EU (including CCPA, GDPR, etc.). Bonus points if you also have experience relevant to Canada, Australia, or India.
- Developed and implemented external privacy notices.
- Knowledge of the digital media ecosystem (including the place in that ecosystem of publishers, platforms, exchanges, agencies, marketers, etc.).
- Strong familiarity with consent management platforms, data management platforms (DMPs), ad tech (SSPs, DSPs, etc.), programmatic advertising, consent strings, cookies, behavioral and contextual targeting, etc.
- Advised on and managed internal policies and procedures on data protection, security, and privacy.
- Commitment to privacy by design and track record of collaborating with clients to ensure that data protection concerns are embedded in all products and processes.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.