The Executive Director of Human Resources leads all aspects of the human resources function to recruit and retain a high-performing, diverse workforce of over 3000+ employees (FT, PT, and casual). Major areas of responsibility include recruitment and retention, employee compensation and benefits, employee engagement and employee relations, and strategic HR functions and operational administration. The office also oversees teacher licensure and professional staff certifications, employee performance counseling, annual personnel evaluations, and related talent management areas. Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are embedded in all HR functions. The position manages a department budget, uses HRIS technology software, and procures HR contractual services. The Executive Director leads an office staff of approximately 12 staff to provide HR services for the school division and help create the optimal teaching and learning experience for the students.
The Executive Director of Human Resources is a direct report to the Chief of Staff.
Education: Master’s degree is required. A degree in public administration, business administration, or related human resources fields is preferred.
Certificates & Licenses: Certification by a Human Resources professional association is required, or the ability to obtain certification within six months of hire.
Language: Bilingual speaking ability in Spanish is preferred.
- Work Experience: At least seven years of job-related experience in people operations or human resource management. Experience in pK-12 education preferred.
- Supervisory Experience: Direct supervision of five or more staff is preferred. (e.g. supervisory responsibility for performance counseling, annual evaluation, training, etc.)
- Change management experience. Given the pandemic situation, experience in HR office transformation is preferred.
Note: This is an essential employee position. Due to the pandemic health situation, the selected applicant must move to the northern Virginia commuting area within 45 days of hire.
- Directs and oversees the HR functions of recruitment, hiring, onboarding, compensation, benefits, performance evaluation, employee engagement, and employee relations.
- Works with Human Resources staff to implement an effective department plan that emphasizes communication and customer service.
- Ensures that ACPS is in compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal policies; regulations; laws; and internal audits as they pertain to the human resources function.
- Ensures that confidentiality is maintained among and by Human Resources staff in its work with those served by the department.
- Works with Human Resources staff to implement innovative business processes and HR technology solutions that enhance communication, confidentiality, and services.
- Implement a comprehensive human resources plan that aligns with the ACPS 2025 strategic plan.
- Collaborates with other school divisions and outside agencies to share HR information and ensure understanding of regional salary and benefits programs, common services, and partnerships.
- Plans and directs the recruitment plan to select, hire and assign the best-qualified staff.
- Plans, develops and revises personnel management policies for the Board of Education
- Annually updates the personnel handbook and associated HR forms.
- Attends and presents at Superintendent's staff meetings.
- Confers with principals and department hiring managers to determine staffing needs.
- Maintains electronic and paper personnel records of all employees to comply with division, state, local, and federal regulations.
- Oversees staffing to include assignments, transfers, dismissals, and promotions
- Support administrative and department efforts to develop ideas and decisions.
- Keeps the Chief of Staff and Superintendent informed on pertinent human resource issues.
- As an essential employee, is available for contact on a 24/7 basis for emergencies and crisis situations.
- Assists other personnel and performs other duties as may be required to ensure an efficient and effective work environment.
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
- Transcripts and certifications will be verified.