What You’ll Do
You’ll be the primary attorney on the Legal and Compliance team providing legal support to The Standard’s Paid Family Medical Leave business unit. In this role you’ll support the development of Paid Family Medical Leave products, the ongoing sale of products and services, and advise on complicated claims. You’ll also support the Absence Management and ADA Accommodation business units which handle leave requests for hundreds of employer customers throughout the United States.
- Provide legal advice to The Standard’s Paid Family Medical Leave (PFML), Absence Management and ADA Accommodation business units.
- Work closely with business units and Compliance to develop or update PFML, paid family leave and statutory disability products, including forms, plan documents, letters, etc.
- Respond to questions about challenging leave, disability, and accommodation issues by providing advice and risk analysis to internal business partners.
- Track and analyze developments in PFML, leave of absence, disability, pregnancy, and accommodation laws.
- Prepare and deliver PFML and other disability or absence management presentations for industry, clients, brokers, and internal training purposes.
- Develop internal procedures, training, and communications about leave and accommodation compliance developments.
- Review and negotiate Service Agreements, Master Agreements and Plan Documents.
- Develop and review external communications and marketing material about product offerings and compliance documents.
- Participate in industry groups and calls.
- Act as a trusted partner by effectively formulating potential risks and outcomes, demonstrating holistic understanding of business goals and risks.
- Efficiently formulate accurate, comprehensive advice understandable and digestible by lay people.
- Consistently demonstrate understanding of and motivation to achieve business goals in a legally defensible manner.
The Skills and Background You’ll Need
- Education: Doctor of Jurisprudence.
- Bar Admission: Admitted or eligible for admission to practice in State of Oregon. New York Bar Admission a plus.
- Minimum of six years of experience in employment or insurance law, with extensive experience advising on FMLA, ADA and other leave of absence/disability laws. Knowledge of insurance law governing PFML and/or group disability insurance products preferred.
- Demonstrated history of working closely with internal business partners as a strategic partner to identify and prioritize business needs and assess and communicate risk.
- Experience in providing advice throughout the product lifecycle.
- Strong communications skills including: ability to produce clear, concise, complete and persuasive work product, and active listening and persuasive advising.
- Ability to deliver successful presentations to internal and external audiences.
What You'll Get From Us
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- An engaging and inclusive work environment
- A performance driven culture with respect for people