GATX is seeking a driven, experienced, results-oriented professional who is passionate about the practice of business law and can manage broad legal generalist functions. The Assistant General Counsel will be responsible for acting as the day-to-day legal advisor to our North American railcar and locomotive leasing business and will work on a broad range of challenging and sophisticated legal matters, with a focus on drafting and negotiating a wide range of commercial agreements. The position will involve direct interaction with personnel at all levels of the organization and a high degree of responsibility and autonomy.
What is required of you?
- Review, draft and negotiate commercial agreements, including equipment lease, purchase, supply, services, and industry-specific agreements.
- Advise colleagues by providing, business-oriented counsel on a variety of legal matters.
- Anticipate and guard against new or developing risks facing the company, while applying problem-solving skills to improve revenues and savings, minimizing risk and cultivating long-term business relationships.
- Participate in M&A, joint venture, and strategic transactions, including due diligence and drafting, review, and negotiation of purchase/sale and joint venture agreements as well as related transactional documents.
- Assist and support the Law Department in a very fast-paced but congenial environment.
What are we looking for?
- J.D. from top law school and good standing with IL bar.
- Minimum of 7 years of transactional experience in a law firm or corporate law department; prior in-house experience strongly preferred.
- Strong experience in leasing and general commercial transactions, negotiating a wide variety of sophisticated commercial contracts.
- M&A experience a significant plus.
- Requires outstanding legal skills (e.g., drafting, negotiation, and advising) equal to that of an accomplished transactional senior associate or junior partner, with a high degree of initiative.
- Deep knowledge of contract and commercial law.
- Outstanding leadership skills, including the ability to assert views and influence.
- Comfortable working with a range of internal clients, including executives and directors.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and diplomatic skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Available for incidental travel.
GATX embraces diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Follow us on LinkedIn!