Who We Are
Collaborative. Respectful. A place to dream and do. These are just a few words that describe what life is like at Toyota. As one of the world’s most admired brands, Toyota is growing and leading the future of mobility through innovative, high-quality solutions designed to enhance lives and delight those we serve. We’re looking for diverse, talented team members who want to Dream. Do. Grow. with us.
Who We’re Looking For
Toyota’s Legal Department is looking for a passionate and highly motivated Managing Counsel, Labor and Employment.
The primary responsibility of this role is to provide advice and counseling and litigation management for a designated set of Toyota business units.
Reporting to the Vice President/Assistant General Counsel, the person in this role will support the Legal department's objective to provide strategic advice on labor and employment issues and to manage and direct employment litigation and arbitrations.
What You’ll Be Doing
• Support Human Resources Employee Relations by providing timely, ongoing, on-demand legal counsel and strategic guidance related to the management of employee issues, such as performance management, reasonable accommodations, team member misconduct, and workplace investigations.
• Represent the Company in the mediation of employment disputes.
• Represent the Company in all company dealings with administrative agencies that regulate the work environment, including the EEOC and its state-level equivalents, DOL, OSHA, etc.
• Research, monitor and analyze labor and employment laws and regulations and advise relevant management of the degree of risk associated with proposed initiatives, corporate activities, and industry developments.
• Evaluate and provide tactical and strategic advice and manage litigation and arbitrations arising out of employment disputes and related matters; negotiate and draft settlements and other resolution documents.
• Supervise and direct outside counsel in litigated and non-litigated matters.
• Train field and HQ personnel on relevant legal issues and communication skills.
What You Bring
• A Juris Doctor degree from an ABA-accredited law school.
• Admission to a U.S. state bar, in good standing, and able to immediately obtain authorization to practice in the applicable jurisdiction. If not admitted to the Texas state bar must be able to obtain authorization to practice in Texas prior to relocation.
• Substantial relevant experience gained both at a major law firm handling complex employment disputes, such as high-profile single-plaintiff cases and/or employment-related class action cases, and in a Fortune 500 level corporate law department handling labor and employment law matters.
• Case management experience, including experience in the development of case and litigation strategies, discovery strategy, trial preparation, settlement negotiations, mediations, arbitrations, and trials.
• Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Ability and willingness to travel 15% of the time.
• Innovative thinking.
• Strong drafting and written communications skills.
• Strong customer focus and interpersonal skills.
• Strong analytical, organizational, and process-development skills.
• Proven self-starter with the ability to work independently and to multitask on many different projects.
• Strong sense of inclusion and teamwork and a positive collaborative attitude; successful experience working with business clients at all levels.
Added Bonus If You Have
• Significant experience supporting unionized work environments.
• Significant experience supporting hourly work environments, such as plants, warehouses, or docks.
• Solid understanding of California employment law.
• Experience handling novel, non-traditional, or emerging legal issues.
What We’ll Bring
During your interview process, our team can fill you in on all the details of our industry-leading benefits and career development opportunities. A few highlights include:
• A work environment built on teamwork, flexibility and respect
• Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career, as well as tuition reimbursement
• Vehicle purchase & lease programs
• Comprehensive health care and wellness plans for your entire family
• Flextime and virtual work options (if applicable)
• Toyota 401(k) Savings Plan featuring a company match, as well as an annual retirement contribution from Toyota regardless of whether you contribute
• Paid holidays and paid time off
• Referral services related to prenatal services, adoption, childcare, schools and more
• Flexible spending accounts
• Relocation assistance (if applicable)
Belonging At Toyota
Our success begins and ends with our people. We embrace diverse perspectives and value unique human experiences. Respect for all is our North Star. Toyota is proud to have 10+ different Business Partnering Groups across 100 different North American chapter locations that support team members’ efforts to dream, do and grow without questioning that they belong. As a company that has been one of DiversityInc’s Top 50 Companies for Diversity and a member of The Billion Dollar Roundtable supporting minority and woman-owned suppliers for over 10 years, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates the diversity of the communities where we live and do business.
Applicants for our positions are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics.
Have a question or need assistance with your application? Check out the How to Apply section of our careers page on Toyota.com
To save time applying, Toyota does not offer sponsorship of job applicants for employment-based visas or any other work authorization for this position at this time.