The Arlington County Attorney’s Office (COA) is seeking an accomplished legal advisor to serve as the next County Attorney to provide Chief legal counsel and advice to the Board, County Manager and other Departments, including addressing multifaceted legal challenges on significant policy, code/ordinance, project, land use, litigation, financial matters, and contracts, along with providing strategic oversight and management of the County Attorney's Office with 18 employees and annual operating budget of $3,650,000.
Key responsibilities include:
- Acts as County’s chief legal advisor by providing highest authority for legal decisions and provides sound legal advice on significant policy, code/ordinance, project, land use, litigation, financial matters, contracts, etc.&
- Manages complex and sensitive legal matters, analyzes disputes, reviews decisions and makes recommendations, and negotiates litigation matters with other lawyers in private practice and in federal, State, and local governments.
- Provides strategic oversight to the County Attorney’s Office, including developing strategies to implement County Board and County leadership priorities; and, providing leadership and management to professional and paraprofessional legal staff.
- Must have a J.D. from an accredited law school;
- Possession of a license to practice law in Virginia or any U.S. state that has a reciprocity agreement with the state.
- Significant senior level experience practicing local/municipal law or related field; and
- Experience supervising and/or leading a team of legal staff.