Counsel, Commercial Contracts
The New York Times is one of the world’s most influential news organizations with 50 news bureaus around the New York region, the nation and the globe. The Times is known for accuracy, depth and authority and produces award-winning journalism, breaking news coverage and opinion and commentary along with deep databases of content and rich multimedia presentations. The New York Times has won 132 Pulitzer Prizes and Citations, far more than any other news organization.
The New York Times Company has an opening for an attorney with at least five years’ experience, specializing in the area of commercial and technology contracts. In this position, you will be part of a collaborative Commercial Business and Legal Affairs (CBLA) team focused on transactional and business dealings across the company that sits within the Legal Department. This role will report to the Vice President and Assistant General Counsel responsible for the CBLA team.
This role will be based in the New York headquarters when we return to office.
- Review, draft and negotiate a wide range of commercial agreements, including:
- technology and IT agreements (such as SaaS, networking, software license and ad tech and data license agreements),
- online terms and platform agreements,
- master and professional services agreements,
- vendor, consultant, and supplier agreements,
- other agreements to support U.S. and international business activities.
- Handle all transactional work for the print business, including print, paper, distribution, and related agreements.
- In coordination with privacy and data governance colleagues, review, draft and negotiate contracts and amendments relating to data privacy and protection.
- Work closely with and function as team lead for the strategic sourcing department and risk committee.
- Work closely with and function as team lead for the contracts management system.
- Review, draft and negotiate other agreements, such as brand and content licensing, content distribution, marketing, sponsorship, venue rental, and other traditional and new media agreements.
- Identify and analyze legal issues, help determine business terms and structure transactions, and provide advice to colleagues that balances business objectives and legal risk.
- Coordinate the improvement of standard form agreements and legal processes, including developing training and templates, supporting a contract management system, and working with our procurement function.
- Remain current on legal decisions, statutory changes and other developments, and advise clients accordingly.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Undergraduate and J.D. degrees from recognized institutions and a member of the New York Bar.
- At least five years’ relevant work experience that includes the handling of a broad range of commercial and technology transactions.
- Substantial understanding of commercial, technology, intellectual property, and licensing laws.
- Ability to contribute to discussions of general business issues; to work well with a wide range of clients; and to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to balance competing demands under time pressure.
- Excellent judgment and professional integrity.
- Working knowledge of domestic and international privacy law (e.g., GDPR and CCPA).