The Senior Legal Counsel functions as part of an integrated global team with the opportunity to contribute to the growth and success of Springer Nature both regionally and globally. Reporting to the Regional General Counsel – Americas, this role supports development of best in class internal legal support for the region of the Americas, as part of a proactive and agile licensing and commercial team. The Senior Legal Counsel also plays a key role in collaborating with colleagues in the global legal organization to support Springer Nature businesses and functions through a business partner approach. This role also has the potential to expand over time to include publishing work with our editorial team and support for other segments of the business.
- Play an integral role in working with the Regional General Counsel for the Americas to support drafting and negotiation of content license agreements for customers in the Americas.
- Support sales teams in the United States, Latin America and Canada on site licensing to public and private institutions.
- Provide support in connection with the sales and licensing workflow on a global basis.
- Be an effective and trusted advisor and business partner to Springer Nature businesses by providing commercial and strategic advice to a cross functional team of contract, licensing and sales managers.
- Review, draft, negotiate and advise on a broad range of commercial contracts, including agreements for the acquisition and exploitation of intellectual property rights (including a variety of publishing contracts)
- Provide advice at all levels of the organization, at both an executive and operational level, which is accessible and commercially sensitive across a full range of legal issues.
- Provide risk analysis and recommendations to the VP of Sales for the Americas.
- Provide training as to contract negotiation and licensing to the core commercial sales teams in the Americas.
- Contribute to Legal team strategy and knowledge development.
- Other duties reasonably related to this role.
Experience, skills, and qualifications:
- Juris Doctor or equivalent
- Admitted Attorney & Member of New York State Bar
- 7+ years’ experience at a law firm or in-house with general corporate/commercial/licensing matters
- Strong commercial awareness
- The ability to foster alignment and influence decision making
- Strong legal research, analysis and drafting skills
- Sound and practical business judgment
- The ability to provide clear, accurate and consistent advice
- Efficient, rigorous, well-organized with good attention to detail and persistence in problem solving
- Self-motivated team player while also being able to work independently
- Excellent communication (verbal, written and presentation) skills with an open, direct communication style and willingness to engage in constructive debate
- Willingness to take on multiple responsibilities and the ability to multi-task and work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- High level of integrity and strong professional ethics
- Language proficiency in Spanish and/or German a plus but not required.
- State and Federal contracting experience a plus but not required
If you are an internal applicant, please inform your line manager.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.
At Springer Nature we value the diversity of our teams. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce with equitable opportunities for everyone. We strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.