Reporting to the SVP of Privacy and Senior Associate General Counsel, the Privacy Counsel and Associate General Counsel works on consumer and third-party data privacy issues for AARP and its affiliates, as well as other related legal subject areas. Additionally, this position carries out privacy regulatory compliance and builds the privacy program at AARP, while supporting other legal areas as needed. This role provides legal counsel and advice on a variety of issues, performs legal research, and manages outside counsel.
- Manages the new suite of consumer legal rights established by various regulations (CCPA, CPRA, VA CPDA).
- Manages AARP’s personal data inventory and data flow mapping throughout organization
- Manages consumer privacy rights workflows and fulfillment of consumer rights requests
- Oversees the data privacy management platform and compliance with regulatory requirements, while creating business and operational efficiencies for AARP
- Manages third party data privacy impact assessments
- Manages third party data privacy contract provisions and negotiates requisite and consistent protections for AARP and regular audits to ensure ongoing compliance
- Works effectively with cross-functional teams (data, information security, business units) to safeguard personal data and implements privacy safeguards
- Responds to legal inquiries from business units, consumers and regulators
- Provides legal review and analysis in additional related areas as needed, including media and IP, contracts and commercial transactions
- J.D. degree plus a minimum of 8 years’ of legal experience in regulatory compliance, contract negotiations, legal research. Specific experience in privacy a plus but not required.
- Privacy experience and CIPP/US/E or other privacy related certifications a plus
- Must be or be able to become a member in good standing with the District of Columbia bar
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Customer friendly approach to working with internal clients
- Independent worker with good judgment to escalate complex issues when necessary
- Ability to become familiar and keep abreast of data privacy, IP and media laws and tax exempt requirements
- Must function with the highest degree of integrity and ethical standards. Passion for our nonprofit mission a definite positive
- Ability to handle different subject areas, pivot as needed, prioritize, and possess a strong attention to detail
- Must be customer-oriented, approachable, responsive, engaging and a team player
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.