FINRA has an immediate opening for a Senior Director/Senior Principal Advisor & Counsel, a key senior level role with FINRA's Market Regulation – Trading and Execution (T&E) Department. Provides input to set the strategic goals for department-wide initiatives and programs with direct support of Senior Vice President and the department's leadership. Excellent career opportunity for experts in federal securities law and market regulation.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides operational support to the SVP, T&E in the administration of the T&E Department. Works closely with the SVP and the Department’s senior leadership team in achieving departmental goals, as well as developing, coordinating, and implementing individual and cross-T&E group initiatives/strategies related to T&E’s examination, risk monitoring, investigative, and reporting responsibilities.
- Works with the SVP, T&E in developing a strategic direction for the T&E Department and helping to ensure that the strategic direction aligns with the strategic direction of FINRA’s overall exam and risk monitoring program.
- Leads collaboration with groups across the Market Regulation Department, FINRA’s Member Supervision examination and risk monitoring programs, and other FINRA Departments on T&E’s behalf regarding the progression of complex examinations and the disposition of those matters post-referral to Enforcement, providing expert legal analysis and guidance; the development of T&E risk reviews and applications used by the Department ; and rule interpretation and development.
- Oversees cross-Market Regulation projects (including new business initiatives), issues and policy formulation. Advises the SVP and the Department’s senior leadership team on the formulation and development of regulatory proposals and policy.
- Reviews, evaluates, and recommends new business initiatives from a strategic, legal and business perspective.
- Evaluates the impact of FINRA, client and SEC rule changes on Market Regulation and recommends responses, consistent with Market Regulation strategies and legal and regulatory requirements.
- Develops strong relationships and interfaces with exchange clients on projects and other regulatory matters on behalf of T&E.
- Utilizes in-depth knowledge of regulatory programs, policies, and strategies to prepare detailed reports for the Chief Regulatory Officers and staff of the current RSA clients on the Department’s programs, as well as prepare and deliver high-level briefings/presentations to FINRA leadership, RSA Clients, and oversight agency executives.
- Oversees the development of more efficient processes across the Department, including developing and maintaining Department-wide procedures.
- Works with technology partners within FINRA to champion advanced analytics solutions to T&E processes.
- Acts as project sponsor to T&E-wide initiatives regarding processes and procedures, applications, and case management.
- Serve as primary liaison to other FINRA departments and offices, including Member Supervision, Enforcement, and the Code of Conduct Group.
- May serve as senior advisor to department committees (i.e., Workflow, Innovation, etc.).
- Law degree and a minimum of ten (10) years of industry experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Expert oral/written communication skills. Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Expert knowledge of federal securities laws, rules and regulations relevant to Market Regulation’s regulatory activities.
- Substantial knowledge of broker-dealer compliance policies and practices.
- Expertise with use of a PC using the full suite of electronic office product applications.
- Work is normally performed in an office environment.
- Extended hours and occasional travel are required.