An official website of the United States government
This position is with the Employee Benefit Security Administration and is located in Kansas City, MO.
U.S. Citizens, Nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Those who meet the five Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs).
The incumbent formulates and administers a regional civil and criminal enforcement program and a participant and compliance outreach, education and assistance program (including short and long-range strategic plans, policies, strategies, program goals and priorities) which: (1) address specific regional enforcement issues and industry trends; (2) are compatible with Agency and Department policies, goals, and strategies and legal and regulatory mandates; (3) include assistance or litigation to bring about compliance with ERISA requirements and related Federal laws, and (4) ensure maximum success in the accomplishment of EBSA’s annual agency management plan.
You must have one year of specialized experience at a level close to the work of this job (typically equivalent to the GS-15 level) that has given you the particular subject-matter knowledge, skills, and abilities required to successfully perform. Typically, we would find this experience in work within the field or a field that is closely related. You must demonstrate possession of specialized experience in the described duties.
Notification Concerning COVID-19 Vaccinations. As required by Executive Order 14043, Federal executive branch employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of the employee's duty location or work arrangement (e.g., telework, remote work, etc.), subject to such exceptions as required by law. If selected, you will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination before appointment or onboarding with the agency. The agency will provide additional information regarding which forms of documentation can be accepted and how you can request a legally required exception from this requirement.
To qualify for this position, all applicants must write a narrative in the spaces provided detailing accomplishments that would satisfy each of the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQ) and Mandatory Technical Qualification (MTQ). You must address each ECQ and MTQ separately. If you fail to do so, your application will be rated ineligible.
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS: In writing your responses to the ECQs, your narrative must address each ECQ separately in the spaces provided. Each ECQ should contain at least two examples describing your experiences and accomplishments/results. Responses to ECQ's must not exceed 10 pages. It is recommended that applicants draft their ECQs in a Word document first, then cut and paste into the spaces provided following each ECQ to ensure length requirements. For additional guidance, applicants may visit the Office of Personnel Management's Guide to Senior Executive Qualifications. Applicants are encouraged to follow the Challenge, Context, Action, and Result model outlined in the guide.
1. Leading Change: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2. Leading People: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. Results Driven: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4. Business Acumen: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5. Building Coalitions: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS: In addition to the ECQs above, qualified applicants must possess the following four (4) technical qualifications which represent the experience required to perform the duties of this position. Proficiency in these technical qualifications MUST be clearly evident in your application. MTQs include:
1. Demonstrated capability to lead major organizational change in a challenging environment, including the capability to integrate and organize strategic goals into program operations to identify and achieve efficiencies in investigative processes, inquiry/assistance disposition, and administrative processes.
2. Demonstrated experience successfully managing and overseeing the operations of a large complex organization, including performance planning and evaluation, human resource policy, budget formulation, contracting and procurement.
3. A comprehensive knowledge of: (a) ERISA and related civil and criminal laws, regulations, precedents, polices, and legal decisions, and (b) the current civil and criminal investigative techniques, methods and procedures.
4. An in-depth understanding and current awareness of: (a) the structure, administration, and operation of employee benefit plans, and (b) the multitude of investment procedures, practices and vehicles employed by pension and welfare plan administrators.
There is no education requirement for this position.
DOL seeks to attract and retain a high performing and diverse workforce in which employees’ differences are respected and valued to better meet the varying needs of the diverse customers we serve. DOL fosters a diverse and inclusive work environment that promotes collaboration, flexibility and fairness so that all individuals are able to participate and contribute to their full potential.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated based on your experience and your responses to the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and the Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs). It is essential that your resume provide sufficient information to substantiate your responses in the self-assessment vacancy questions. If your responses are not adequately substantiated by your resume, your application will be rated ineligible.
Current/Former Career SES or SES Candidate Development graduates who have been certified by OPM must provide a narrative response to address each of the MTQs, but need not address the ECQs. In order to successfully complete the online application process you must input the term, "noncompetitive eligible" in the text boxes for each of the ECQs. You must submit a Standard Form 50 that documents your SES Career appointment or a copy of your OPM approved SES Candidate Development Program certificate.
To preview questions please click here.
In addition to responding to the ECQs and MTQs, all applicants must provide a resume.
Applicants should provide the following documents if applicable:
1. SF-50 documentation of career SES appointment or other Federal appointment.
2. Certificate of completion of OPM certified SES candidate program.
3. Copy of most recent performance appraisal (optional).
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in the vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
To apply for this position, you must complete the initial online application, including submission of the required documentation specified in the "Required Documents" section.
Follow the steps below to apply. Your application and ALL required supplemental documents MUST be received by 11:59 pm Eastern Time (ET) on the vacancy closing date to receive consideration. Paper applications and supplemental documents submitted in any other manner without prior approval from the vacancy contact will not be considered. Click here for information on Reasonable Accommodations.
SAVE your information before the 30 MINUTE TIMEOUT! For help, go to USAJOBS Help Center.
STEP 1 - Create USAJOBS Account on www.usajobs.gov, including Resume and Saved Documents Your resume must provide sufficient information to substantiate your responses to the self-assessment vacancy questions. If not, HR may amend your responses to more accurately reflect the competency indicated by resume content. FOR EACH EMPLOYMENT PERIOD, include: start/end month & year and note full-time or part-time (if part-time, include # of hours worked per week); otherwise, your application may be considered incomplete.
STEP 2 - Complete the 1st part of the application process (USAJOBS) Once you have identified a job on USAJOBS that you wish to apply for, click on the title and click the "Apply" button. For questions about the vacancy, contact the Agency Contact at the bottom of the announcement. Click “Start Application” and proceed through the 5 steps noted at the top of the USAJOBS page. You will be able to select a resume and documents from your USAJOBS Account that you can submit as a package as part of your DOL application. At Step 5, click “Continue to Agency Site”.
STEP 3 – Complete the 2nd part of the application process (DOL) On the Department of Labor (DOL) page, create a DOL Account if you have not already and click “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY”. Continue through the 7 progress steps indicated by circles at the top of the DOL page. The 3rd progress step is where you answer the vacancy specific questions. The 4th progress step "Documents" is where you submit required documents (only if applicable to you) specified in the "Required Documents" section of this vacancy. If you submit a document using the same document title, the 2nd submission will OVERWRITE the 1st submission.
STEP 4 – On the “Review and Submit” step, click “Submit Application” The last “Confirmation” step will turn green noting that your application was submitted successfully.
STEP 5 - Edit Application as needed by 11:59 pm ET of Closing Date by returning to USAJOBS, clicking the vacancy, then “Update Application”.
Labor, Employee Benefits Security Administration
200 Constitution Ave., NW
Washington, District of Columbia 20210
United StatesLearn more about this agency
The Division of Executive Resources will review all applications to determine if applicants meet the mandatory technical qualifications of this position and the SES ECQs. A subject matter expert may be consulted in the initial review of applicants. Those who meet the qualifications will be referred to a panel of SES members for rating and ranking to determine the "best qualified" candidates. The panel will make a recommendation to the selecting official about the top candidates that s/he should interview. Once a selection is made, the selectee's application will be forwarded to the OPM for approval by an OPM independent Qualifications Review Board (QRB), unless the selectee is a current/former SES executive or has successfully participated in an OPM approved SES Candidate Development Program.
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
12/20/2021 to 01/19/2022
$132,552 - $199,300 per year
1 vacancy in the following location:
Yes—as determined by the agency policy.
Occasional travel - Less than 25%.
USAJOBS is a Opens in a new windowUnited States Office of Personnel Management website.